• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter inlets at different heights?

LancsRick

I've got my 2 Eheims set up in my Trigon in a configuration that seems to give good flow, with both sprays one after the other along one of the straight sides, and both of the inlets in the back corner.

From sprinkling in very fine flakes, I've watched the flow pattern and there's a good flow throughout the tank, but if something is buoyant, it never gets pulled down into the inlets since they're approx 16" below the surface. Is there some merit in maybe shortening one of the inlets so it pulls in from (e.g.) 6" below the surface? My only worry would be reducing the flow at gravel level - since moving to the new filters the improvement I've seen in the cleanliness of my gravel is huge, so I'm keen not to take a backwards step.

Cheers!

Hi,
Normally you don't get something for nothing. That's like asking your filter inlets to do your laundry and cook your meals as well, if you know what I mean. I reckon if something is buoyant then I can always grab it with a net. Whatever the inlets miss you can remove when you do your water changes with siphons and nets. Be aggressive and remove as much debris as you can. Clean the filters often as well.

Cheers,

I reckon it would be worth a try shortening one inlet pipe or you could try putting them in opposite corners if your hoses are long enough. Provided you have the bits you need it's only going to cost you time to try! You could also try a surface skimmer.

Back