Filter media need to be change ?

unisubzero

Hi all,

I have a question. Do I really need to change my filter media every 3-6 month (such as ceramic rings, etc)? Or cleaning it in my old tank water is enough ?

Ed Seeley

Cleaning it is fine. I have ceramic media that must be 20 years old still running fine! It never needs replacing unless you smash it up!!!

Themuleous

Yeh I dont bother. Its probably marketing hype to get people to buy it regulaly. Like Ed Ive got sponges that much be getting on of 3-4years old.

Sam

GreenNeedle

I've not even thought about changing my sponges/ceramics/bio balls and they are nearing 2 years old.. They are a little stained but I can't see that they would become less effective due to staining so I don't worry. Water is nice and clear and fish nice and healthy so it must be doing OK

AC

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing I change is the fine white sponge in my internal, I got a 100 off ebay really cheap and just change at every water change. Pack of a 100 lasts me just over 2 years! The rest of the sponges and ceramics never change just rinse them off.

unisubzero

Yeah, I guess it’s just a marketing thing. I saw it in all my filter user manuals :?

Thanks !