• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter Recommendation for 70L Tank

pollyandpear

I have the fluvial u2 but it is not working so am returning it.

Will either buy the same again, the or the Eheim Pickup 160 Internal Filter - which would you go for?

Or can anyone else recommend a different one (an external one would be great!) for under £50?

Thanks!

Personally if I was to go down the internal route I’d just use a big foam block with a decent powerhead like a eheim power ball on it. This is what I use on my smaller tanks, granted it’s probably not the nicest thing to look at but if you stick it in a corner with some plants in front of it you can’t really see it.

Externals have the benefit of being outside the tank and can probably handle a higher fish load, although your plants will be helping a lot with your water quality. I’d recommend looking for second hand external filters if you were to go down that route. There are some bargains to be had if you look around.

Ensuring lively water movement is more important than the filtration itself. Internal pump is the easiest & cheapest solution.

I have the fluvial u2 but it is not working so am returning it.

Will either buy the same again, the or the Eheim Pickup 160 Internal Filter - which would you go for?

Or can anyone else recommend a different one (an external one would be great!) for under £50?

Thanks!
Is the 70L just plants or are there fish in it as well?

Hi all,
I’d just use a big foam block with a decent powerhead like a eheim power ball on it.
I use these a lot. This one isn't in use at the moment, but it you can see that you don't need to use the crap suckers etc.

Powerhead1.jpg

powerhead2.jpg

powerhead3.jpg

cheers Darrel

What is the actual product called? Sorry I am still very new to this so not entirely sure what they are!

Ensuring lively water movement is more important than the filtration itself. Internal pump is the easiest & cheapest solution.
Out of interest @_Maq_, why do you say that? I am interested in your views on this. I tend to think there is a reasonable need for both, but I would like to understand your view.

Hi all,
What is the actual product called? Sorry I am still very new to this so not entirely sure what they are!
That sponge is a cut down 30 x 10 x 10 cm sponge that <"they sell for Koi ponds etc">. They are drilled 3/4 of the way down. You can buy them as 10 x 10 x 10 cm blocks as well, but I always buy the full size ones and cut them down as required.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
70L isn’t that large for an internal filter, I’m thinking aesthetics here. As you have fish as well I’d go for an external.

Thank you - any you'd recommend?

I need a new light as well as mine is no longer working (it's part of the lid).

I may end up just buying a tank with integrated filter and light art this point!

Out of interest @_Maq_, why do you say that?
Because I believe that substrate itself is the best colonization area for microbes. In well-maintained tanks, they manage to cycle completely whatever needs to be cycled. In the substrate, every species can find a niche perfectly suited to its demands. Nothing is lost, everything is used and re-used indefinitely.
I've come to this conclusion thanks to experiments I've performed four years ago. I've explored the onset of nitrification in newly established tanks and I've learned that with or without filtration, the results were identical. Filters did not help it a bit. Without filters, nitrification ran unhindered. Substrate consisting of pure silica sand was enough. I've added intentionally large amounts of ammonium, and the microbes in sand handled it perfectly.
I believe that the supposed need for big and sophisticated filters is in overwhelming part pure myth invented by vendors. Such filters are needed only when breeding large numbers of fish, often without substrate, and in similar situations. Not for ordinary planted tanks.

I mean I'd love to run a tank without a filter but not sure I'm at that stage yet.

I am planning on redoing the tank at some point, adding some aqua soil or aquarium safe soil and cap it with sand, get some more plants and buy some rocks -

Hiya

I have a 70L tank like you (low tech, low-ish fish load), and I upgraded about three or four months ago from an annoying hang-on-back to this external filter from All Pond Solutions. I am pretty happy with it so far. It puts out a flow which is just fine. Build quality is reasonable, it came with decent instructions, all the hoses and fitments, and a variety of sponges (and some balls which I didn't use). Spare parts are also available separately should that be required. I chose this external filter 'cos it's not super expensive but it definitely feels like a nice upgrade over my old HOB. I know it's not Fluval or Eheim or Oase etc so I can't comment on longevity.

In addition, I made a sponge 'sock' for the end of the filter intake inside the tank. A bit like the sponge block Darrel recommends except mine is just flat filter sponge sheet sewn into a cylinder with a flap to close the end, all secured together with some fishing line. Each week I slip this 'sock' off and squeeze it out under the tap as part of my water change routine. The 'sock' stops the sponges inside the external filter getting blocked by debris which means that I have not opened the external filter since I started it and the flow is still as strong as on 'day one'.

For my 70L the external filter plus the two air stones I run seem to give enough surface movement, circulation, and bit-catching power for my tank.

Hope that helps. Enjoy choosing your new kit!

I have a 70L tank like you (low tech, low-ish fish load), and I upgraded about three or four months ago from an annoying hang-on-back to this external filter from All Pond Solutions. I am pretty happy with it so far. It puts out a flow which is just fine. Build quality is reasonable, it came with decent instructions, all the hoses and fitments, and a variety of sponges (and some balls which I didn't use). Spare parts are also available separately should that be required. I chose this external filter 'cos it's not super expensive but it definitely feels like a nice upgrade over my old HOB. I know it's not Fluval or Eheim or Oase etc so I can't comment on longevity.

In addition, I made a sponge 'sock' for the end of the filter intake inside the tank. A bit like the sponge block Darrel recommends except mine is just flat filter sponge sheet sewn into a cylinder with a flap to close the end, all secured together with some fishing line. Each week I slip this 'sock' off and squeeze it out under the tap as part of my water change routine. The 'sock' stops the sponges inside the external filter getting blocked by debris which means that I have not opened the external filter since I started it and the flow is still as strong as on 'day one'.
@pollyandpear - this could probably work if you are on a tight budget.

However, I would say that the max head height is only 0.85M, so the closer to the tank, the better to achieve maximum flow. Also, the bio-balls at the bottom could be replaced with K1 or HEL-X type media, which is more effective. There seem to be three layers of foam as well, which makes it compelling.

As @LFNfan says, you can put a sponge sock on the intake to ensure your filter requires less cleaning and maximises what is in the canister. (i.e. clean the sponge on the intake regularly and let the three sponges and K1/HEL-X turn into bio-media).

It says in the instruction manual the filter volume is 2.3L and much of that will be taken up by foam. I’d just stick with the included bio balls. If you do want to use some other bio media 1L would be enough for a canister that size.

I’ve been using Ziss plastic bio media in one of my filters but I didn’t like it much as it floats. I’ve replaced it with Siporax in one filter and will be doing the same in another at some point. I’m finding it much easier to handle at maintenance time.

As a point of interest I’ve just replaced an Eheim Classic 250 with a 350 on a 37L Nano. It sounds like overkill but it’s not really. With a foam pre filter on the intake I’m not expecting to have to clean it very often.

Hi all,
I've explored the onset of nitrification in newly established tanks and I've learned that with or without filtration, the results were identical. Filters did not help it a bit. Without filters, nitrification ran unhindered. Substrate consisting of pure silica sand was enough. I've added intentionally large amounts of ammonium, and the microbes in sand handled it perfectly.
I can see situations where you would need a filter (and I always have one) <"but I largely agree with this">.

It is back to the <"sewage treatment works">, if you can get enough oxygen into the system, you can deal with huge bioloads. If you have a lower bioload (less <"Total Ammoniacal Ammonia (TAN)">) then your <"microbial assemblage"> will be <"diverse and flexible">, and it doesn't really matter where it is located in the tank, there will always be sufficient physical space.
I believe that the supposed need for big and sophisticated filters is in overwhelming part pure myth invented by vendors.
I've got a <"very jaundiced view of this"> and I think a lot of the problem is that people have filters running at a fraction of their nitrification potential, because there isn't <"sufficient dissolved oxygen entering the filter">.
As a point of interest I’ve just replaced an Eheim Classic 250 with a 350 on a 37L Nano. It sounds like overkill but it’s not really. With a foam pre filter on the intake I’m not expecting to have to clean it very often.
That is a lot of the reason I like a really big sponge block, I rinse it every week, but if I'm away for ~6 weeks? It doesn't matter.
In addition, I made a sponge 'sock' for the end of the filter intake inside the tank. A bit like the sponge block Darrel recommends
I <"used to do this">, I've<"just got lazy">.

cheers Darrel

I think filter preference is a lot down to what you find easier to maintain. I'm definately leaning towards the sponge blocks, I just pull in off, rinse it in the bucket of water I've just emptied out of the tank and put it back on. I've the powerhead running it just hung over the tank edge. Even the simpliest externals, require at least one extra step of unclipping and opening ;) I agree though they do have the benefit of taking virtually everything out of the tank. HOBs (Hand on Back filters) are a sort of inbetween, you can basically house the sponge externally in a box hung on the side with a lift up lid.

I run sponge blocks on an Aquael mini pat filter - they are about £15-£20. If your fish stock is low you could just run it out the box. Otherwise I trade out the sponge included for a larger one something like this: Poret® Sponge Replacement for Aquael Pat Mini Filter 20cm - Envobee Shrimp

Back