• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter Size

Giorgio Lamp.

Hi everyone!!!!
One question about the filter.

I set up my thank 10 days ago and I was changing the water every 2 days, I left for a week and when I got back I found this film on the water, does anyone have any idea what it could be?

7ca8b247dd56c67c40e3964810b6db04.jpg

I got the Jbl cristal E401 for my 98Lt tank (70x35x40) which I'm not sure is not strong enough especially because I have co2 and the twinstar and both don't get really spread around the entire tank well.
Should I change it with the 701 or the 901 which would be more appropriate ?
I was also thinking about the Eheim pro 4

Thanks for all your help!
-Giorgio

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi, I think your filter is rated about 450l/ph? It's recommended to use about 10x turnover per hour tank volume - so for a 100l tank you should be aiming for 1000l/hr :) I'm hideously under par - I'm running a eheim ecco pro 300 (750l/ph) on a 240 tank (shhh!) :-S but have a bit more flexibility as am not running co2 & low light. Though hope to upgrade as am unsatisfied with flow.

The 901 would probably be better as its closer the 1000l/hr flow rate however if you got the 701 it could be supplemented with a power head :)

You could also supplement your existing filter with a power head - the film on top probably means you need a bit more surface agitation & adjusting the direction of your output may help!

Yes is 450lph !!! So yes I need a bigger filter ! Thank for your help!!!

Why not buy another E401 and have two running
It's safer in case one ever breaks down

Regards
Dean

Thank you !!
I thought about it as a solution. But unfortunately I don't have the space for another filter where the tank is located

Best regards

I was also thinking about the Eheim pro 4
I picked one of these up last Dec & finally set it up a couple months ago - it's now my favorite Eheim :)
I was sceptical about Pro 4 over Pro 3 but wanted a backup filter (it was on sale) - they don't read very different in the information sheets, yet it feels so different
The old eheim green tubing has finally been changed out for a grey/brown that actually fades into the tank much better than I expected (I'd break the glass inlet/outlets :( )

Eheim has always been one of the filter brands that can deliver close to stated flowrates once up & running with media etc.

You don't need a new filter to deal with that "Surface Scum" :)

If you like the JBL filters you could go for the e901, I've got an e1501 on my 190 litre tank and the water is crystal clear also look at adding a Eheim Surface Skimmer.

If you like the JBL filters you could go for the e901, I've got an e1501 on my 190 litre tank and the water is crystal clear also look at adding a Eheim Surface Skimmer.

Hi !!
I like the Jbl crystal clear line ! So think I will go for the e901!

Thanks !

I picked one of these up last Dec & finally set it up a couple months ago - it's now my favorite Eheim :)
I was sceptical about Pro 4 over Pro 3 but wanted a backup filter (it was on sale) - they don't read very different in the information sheets, yet it feels so different
The old eheim green tubing has finally been changed out for a grey/brown that actually fades into the tank much better than I expected (I'd break the glass inlet/outlets :( )

Eheim has always been one of the filter brands that can deliver close to stated flowrates once up & running with media etc.

You don't need a new filter to deal with that "Surface Scum" :)

Thank you for the for the link ! It has been really helpful to clean the scum !!
For the filter I haven't decided yet the brand yet.... But I think I will stay with Jbl, but is not certain.

Cheers
Giorgio

Back