• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter tube oddities

Disaronno

So I need to do some tubing patchwork and want to get the correct tube size.

Oase states that their tubing size is 16/22mm OD. However when I measured their tubing with a caliper, the tube size is ~14.5/19mm with 2.2mm wall thickness. The section of tubing that is stretched over the barb measured as 15.77mm on average and 20mm OD. Is it normal for these measurements to be so far off?

I have found 5/8" ID x 3/4" OD tubing (15.8mm x 20mm). The tubing is more flexible due to the thinner walls but I'm not sure if it will be more prone to kinking.

So what do you say? Find tubing close as possible to the original tube supplied or just get what ever works?

This summer, I've attempted to build DIY filter consisting of several independent modules. I'm an amateur in plumbing, indeed, and not very crafty person, but I can tell you that I've experienced the same problem: things supposed to fit with each other do not, tubes supposed to be identical in size are not. Get ready for headaches and be strong.

Thanks Maq. I've ordered some 5/8" x 13/16" (15.8mm x 20.6mm) tubing which should have wall thickness close to the original. Hopefully it will be close enough as advertised the first time around 😅

I ordered some clear 16/22 for my Biomaster and it fits ok. If I can find any offcuts I’ll take a measurement but getting an exact figure for the ID/OD isn't always easy. Wall thickness is much easier.

Thought I'd give an update on this.

I got some Kuriyama Klearon 5/8" x 13/16" tubing that fits pretty well. Actual measured dimensions are 15.5mm ID x 20mm OD. It fits snugly enough over the barbs and it's thin enough that it's compatible with Oase's and the in-line diffuser's compression fittings. The tube has a slight milky haze and it's branded with specifications but I'm fine with that.

Also found some 5/8" x 7/8" tubing (22mm OD) but It's so obviously larger that it won't fit the compression nuts.

Yes I could have just bought some aquarium branded tubing. But I'm not going to pay double the price for it!

Back