• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter upgrade options - except biomaster 600

jwmachon

Hi I have a aquael 90 ultrascape 90x48x60 and also have a biomaster 600 and tbh I'm underwhelmed by the flow and air burping. However I do like the concept and would like a filter with built in heater

Any recommendations please

I was thinking of going to the biomaster 850

Thanks

The 850 will probably disappoint as well. Reports of burping are more common with the 600 and 850 models and water flow is still lacking. Some of Ehiem's offerings have built in heaters but I have not tried those. Alternatively just run an in-line heater.

IMO there could be a design issue with higher flow rates. I have a 250 that is normally quiet. However when I hook up an external DC pump in series with the 250, it sucks in air constantly until the DC pump flow rate is decreased to a certain point. I did lube the prefilter gaskets but did not completely solve the issue.

I guess there will be problems with every manufacturer’s products

I have several Eheim’s over 20 yrs old, and a couple over 30 yrs old, I have had to replace impellers and ceramic shafts, but nothing else, even the seals are original

Not had a thermo filter, just don’t like the idea of them

A friend had one of the Eheim wet/dry filters (years ago), it was terrible, noisy and unreliable
Just purchased 2 1200xl’s for a new tank, horribly expensive, but for reliability (imho) and running cost (at 25w each power consumption), nothing else comes close

The 1200xl is basically a 2080 with a slight change of the pump assembly, the new parts fit the old pump, different colour, possibly a slightly different material
I purchased a pro5e about 18 months ago, not sure I would purchase another, too much faff to set it up, the flow monitor/when it needs cleaning feature is (in my experience) a waste of time
The adjustable flow is great, the dc motor is more noisy than the motor in a classic, the filter itself works well, but is crazy expensive for what it is, I don’t really need to see how it’s working on my phone/pc, I can see whether it need cleaning by checking the flow from the return
My ideal (smallish) Eheim would be a classic with an extra 50mm on top containing a pre filter
I can’t complain about the 1200xl/2080 never had a problem, I have had a 2080 for many years, and apart from cleaning (i did once remove scale build up on the tap/valve assembly, the flow meter no longer works), replacing serviceable parts, haven’t had to touch it

Hi all,
My ideal (smallish) Eheim would be a classic with an extra 50mm on top containing a pre filter
I'm a huge pre-filter fan, I wouldn't run a canister filter <"without one">.

You can get the (unattractive) Eheim prefilter <"Prefilter">, they work OK, but I usually just use a <"big sponge block">.

If I was more interested in aesthetics I'd probably use an Eck (Corner) Mattenfilter <"Eckmattenfilter"> to hide the filter intake behind, but it would serve the same purpose.

cheers Darrel

I guess there will be problems with every manufacturer’s products

You’re right, I only stated mine failed for “balance”

I pretty much swear by eheim liberty filters 👌

Hi I have a aquael 90 ultrascape 90x48x60 and also have a biomaster 600 and tbh I'm underwhelmed by the flow and air burping. However I do like the concept and would like a filter with built in heater

Any recommendations please

I was thinking of going to the biomaster 850

Thanks

Your tank has around 100 litres extra than mines (90x40x40) and I'm using a Biomaster Thermo 850. Are you injecting CO2? If not you can get away with a lower flow rate. My only other canister filters are Fluval 207's, sadly no integrated heaters though but the flow seems closer to their rated speed compared to the Biomasters, probably due to the simpler design. What about supplementing your Biomaster 600 with a Fluval 307/407? That way you have the integrated heating from your Biomaster, additional flow from the Fluval as well as filter redundancy incase of filter death? Or there's the Fluval FX2 for even more flow, I've not used the FX series so can't comment though.

Or there's the Fluval FX2 for even more flow, I've not used the FX series so can't comment though.
FX series are great little filters, for the extra £20-£30 you'll pay it's almost always worth going FX4 over FX2, I'd usually say if you have the space, go FX4 over the 407 as well, although 20cm radius is chunky for a lot of tank stands.

For comparison (note dimensions are without hoses, they all get taller with the hoses connected.

Feature307407FX2FX4FX6
Pump Output / Circulation (L/H)1150 / 7801450 / 9301800 / 13002650 / 17003500 / 2130
Max Head (cm)175225210210330
Canister Volume (L)7.3910.51419.5
Wattage1623273043
Price£160£217£225£248£306
Dimensions (cm)24x18x4224x18x4934x34x4240x40x4240x40x53

I think IME the 07 series are great filters, my 55gallon low energy has a powehead with a sponge alongside a 307, the power head with sponge can easily be transfered to a quarantine in a emergency,

Back