• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filters for a 90x45x45

livewire

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of planning the set up for my new tank, it will be a open top brace less tank 90x45x45, I will be using 2 x clear acrylic spray bars that will run the full length or the back of the tank. Each spray bar will run off its own filter.

I have available three filters, 2 x Tetra Tec EX1200 and 1 x Tetra Tec EX700.

Should I use;
  • 2 x EX1200
  • 1 x EX1200 and 1 x Ex700?

I also have a Hydor 900lph power head that could also be added.

The two ex 1200s. Using a lesser powered filter akong side the more powerful will result in uneven flow and growth on one side of the tank especially if using co2

Thank you,

Would it be best to point the spray bars straight forward? and about an inch below the water line? I will be using an inline diffuser.

I was just going to use the 1 diffuser but if 2 will work better I would possibly buy a second.

If I did would it just be a case of fitting a T piece after the regulator and running 2 pieces of Co2 pipe to the 2 diffusers? or would I have to fit other bits?

After the t piece youd need some cheap air flow or needle valves along with a bubble counter on each line to allow even co2 flow to each diffuser.
If just opting for the one in line then try to place the inlets for each filter on the opposite side to its spray bar if that makes sense that way it acts kind of like a figure of 8 and the filter with out the inline will be taking in some of the gas from the spray bar from the other filter and sending it out on the other side of the tank.

After the t piece youd need some cheap air flow or needle valves along with a bubble counter on each line to allow even co2 flow to each diffuser.
If just opting for the one in line then try to place the inlets for each filter on the opposite side to its spray bar if that makes sense that way it acts kind of like a figure of 8 and the filter with out the inline will be taking in some of the gas from the spray bar from the other filter and sending it out on the other side of the tank.

Yeah that make sense mate, I am running my Co2 this way on my present tank (not the one in my avatar), diffuser is running on the Ex700 and an Ex1200 has the inline heater running on it, inlets at opposite ends. Seems to work fine but I see what you are saying about using 2 diffusers.

To tell the truth I do prefer running an in tank atomizer running underneath a powerhead as I found this spread the Co2 better than the inline. May just have been the way I had everything placed in the tank tho, and the mist from the inline made the water look misty (believe it or not lol) where as the intank atomizer put out slightly bigger Co2 bubbles so the water look a lot clearer.

Back