• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filtration Advice

MrJames

Hello everyone, I'm after some advice on how to set things up..... As I've had this empty tank for far too long now!

I currently have...

1 x Empty Fluval Roma 240 with 2x39watt T5HO
2 x All Pond Solution 2000
1 x Tetratec EX600
1 x Hydor 300Watt External Heater
1 x Up Aqua Co2 Diffuser
1 x UP Aqua Regulator with solenoid
1 x Fire Extinguisher
1 x 50Kg of sand
2 x 2.5L of Tropica Growth Substrate
Also have EI dosing

The tetra filter, heater and diffuser were bought for a smaller tank so all fits together, my first thought was to get a Co2 splitter and run it through both filters but as money is tight at the moment and doing that would mean buying a fair bit more equipment....

So my other plan is run both APS filters along with the tetra filter with the Co2 diffuser and heater with minimal filter media so using 3 filters or is this serious overkill? I should still get good Co2 distribution right?

Thanks for any input on this matter :)

The tetra filter, heater and diffuser were bought for a smaller tank so all fits together, my first thought was to get a Co2 splitter and run it through both filters but as money is tight at the moment and doing that would mean buying a fair bit more equipment....
I disagree with that.

You can get something like https://www.co2art.co.uk/store/conn...m-airco2-valve-connector-inline-equal-y-6mm/# from our sponsor. Just mount it downstream of the needle valve, and with a bit of extra tubing you can rout the gas to both filter inlets in the tank. I guess if you wanted it to look pretty you'd have to add another diffuser. I'd hide these behind plants anyway, but that all depend s on aquascape and personal preferences.

The only problem you have with this is that the flow rates from the "Y" spuds are not always equal due to varying back pressures but that's only a minor problem.

Cheers,

Thank you for your reply! I rather stupidly forgot to mention the diffuser I have is an in-line one as is the external heater, they were purchased for the tubing size on the tetra filter so to use them on the APS filter will mean using reducers and possibly Y-Splitters so would all get messy rather quickly.... And like I said money is a bit limited at the moment.

So my temporary plan was to use the APS filters as normal then the tetra as more of a circulation filter, I'll remove the media then have the in-line diffuser and external heater on it then position the spray bar in the middle of the tank so it'll go

___APS___ __Tetra__ ___APS___

Just not sure how well this would work for Co2 distribution?

It seemed like a good idea until I tried it.... Excuse the state of the tank I'm still cleaning it up but 3 filters just doesn't really fit lol :(

pkQTT3c.jpg

Back