• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filtration

Alex J

I'm going to be setting up a 125 litre tank after Christmas and would like some opinions on using a Tetratec ex 1200 external filter. Would this be complete overkill. Thanks everyone

Tetratec 1200 published flowrate is 1300l/hr , so thats 10x flow which is ok and certainly not overkill. You'll probably need to add at least one circulation pump to improve the flow. I've lost the link to the relevant threads but overfiltering is pretty common, especially if you have hardscape or plant mass that may be blocking some flow.

I have a 100 litre tank (about 80 litres of water in it), running at 26x flow (2 canisters total 2400l/hr + 1 usb pump 200l/hr at substrate level). Doesn't look like overkill at all. In fact, since coming to UKAPS and learning that flow is king in the planted tank, I have removed most of the fancy filter media like Matrix/3DM from my canister filter in order to improve flow.

Thanks for your Input, I've had a brief look at circulation pumps and agree it will help so will purchase one closer the time.

Back