• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First aquascape- The Nano

hair algae over most of the hair grass! NO!! Going to reduce my dosing to 0.5ml and do two water changes a day now, will be dosing liquid carbon and iron when it comes and am adding 5 cherry shrimp on wednesday. hopefully this will be the solution.

Just done that stu, going to do two water changes tonight and order my new ferts. Even more of a disaster my Co2 has run out so will replace it tomorrow,any tips on getting it off the plants to stop more growth?

before you get your shrimp - as they don't like liquid carbon - dose a 50% lc solution directly onto the algae using a sprayer or syringe in the middle of a water change. Leave 10 mins and then refill tank. Hair algae is normally due to co2 fluctuations so ensure your dosing and distribution are spot on to avoid recurrence. M

Hi mark,

I brought the light second hand so im not sure what it is sorry, i know its three eight watt lights but im not sure of their specifications although the middle is a different colour to the two on the outside. Is this stock lighting or not?

Liquid carbon will be here tomorrow so i'll be following your advice on the hair algae killing method matt, and then eventually add the shrimps.

Once its hopefully recovered from the algae news pictures will be up!

Cant believe it, did the liquid carbon technique this morning and i cant believe it tonight it looks like half the algae on the eleocharis has gone! added some easylife ferro as my iron source tonight so see what regular dosing of that (0.5ml every other day) i think i should be on a winner here, and the tank should frive in the next few weeks. Adding cherry shrimps tomorrow!! Cant wait to see how they get on, such nice shrimp.

FlyingFish

Cherrys have been in for a week nearly now, they're doing a nice job of keeping the algae at bay. Eleocharis has sent a load of runners and starting to form a nice carpet. Going to get a couple of shots up tonight for you all the check out, sorry about the lack of shots recently. Really pleased with the tank!

FlyingFish

Photos:
IMG_0264-1.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0266-1.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

think the photos have worked this time!!

I want to put a back ground on the tank but im not sure what colour will suit, going for something basic. either black or white,

any ideas on backgrounds? im sure you'll agree that the green wall behind spoils the tanks look entirely.

It also seems to be lacking something in the plant department. Any suggestions on plants to add?

The green wall certainly has "impact" :D - Maybe a frosted backing just to soften it a bit? Or looking at Mark Evans' latest creation the black looks great. As far as planting goes i'd think about Marsilea Hirsuta - different leaf shape would complement the hairgrass nicely. Maybe planted around the rocks to soften the edges and creat more of a "transition"?
Hope this helps,
Matt
PS - Shrimp look happy!

Bigmatt- i for sure dont want a green background! I was thinking maybe Micromanthemum Umbrosum and Lilaeopsis Novea-Zealandiae just to add some texture and variety.

Could mark give me some advice on the black background?

Shrimps are loving life! Need to get some crab cuisine for the some time but they're fine in the mean time.

Made some changes:

Black background
Otto added (only one in the shop)
1ml of Ferro daily
Echinodorus Tenellus
Cryptocoryne Parva

Will post pictures tonight!

Echinodorus Tenellus has a few red shoots growing how normal is this? does it mean im doing something right or not?

Also, when i put my shrimp food in they dont take any notice of it. good or bad?

Thoughts on the tank guys?

Cheers!

FlyingFish

Back