First Ever Tank

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by jp303, 15 May 2009.

1. jp303

jp303 Member

Hi, im currently planning my first tank to set up in the summer holidays!!

I am at university and only visit home in the holidays, the tank will be at home, meaning trusting my parents to look after the tank while i am gone. i want something which is not a hassle and simple for them as well as cheap. Is there anything i could use which meets these needs as far as plants go and even which can survive without the co2 addition?

thanks

2. nry

nry Member

I'd personally be looking at lower light levels and suitable plants (perhaps crypts etc), and use of e.g. EasyCarbo (or the aquaessentials own version for less money) instead of injected CO2. Still, with a fire extinguisher for your CO2 source, it may well last plenty long enough to change it yourself during holiday time...

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

You'd have to go very low maintenance if you're not going to be around to maintain it. Still, if you're away from it for several months at a time, it would be fantastic to come back to and see how much it'd grown. Something you don't appreciate if you're looking at it on a daily basis.

Thought about the El Natural aproach? Less water changes, less ferts, less fuss but slower growth. Diana Walstad is a good place to start :)