• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First planted tank

Allanhep

After much thought i have decided to restart my aquarium and go for a planted tank theres not much on the web in the way of info on people using juwel trigon 190 aquariums as planted tanks loads on being used as Malawi setups.

So far i have swapped out my fake plants and sand and added jbl manado substrate i like how it looks and that its like a chargeable battery for nutrients i also got a hagen t5 starter unit and 2 juwel 28 watt natural bulbs to run along side my t8 lighting unit that came with the aquarium that i have 2 20 watt flora glo in so now i have 96 watts all under my reflectors is this enough light to grow HC cuba carpeting plant? As i have a short budget i cant afford to get a factory co2 system to run in the 40ish gallon plus aquarium so I'm planing on using Easy Life profito & easycarbo open to any advice that could be given.

Thanks

Heres 2 recent ones but there are more, use forum search to find them

Novice Trigon 190 from absolute blank canvas... | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Nature's Corner 'naturalis' Trigon 190 (now closed) | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Theres not many about because it can be tricky to get flow right.

Your light should be enough hc needs good co2 and flow and co2 more than it needs strong light

Id think about growing hc emmersd and save for pressurised co2. diy fire extinguisher is your best option
Check my propagator in this thread it saved me a fortune in hc
Recommended number of 1 2 grow 'hc' pots | UK Aquatic Plant Society
And photos just before i put it into tank
Juwel 180 first planted tank | UK Aquatic Plant Society
The 2 trays are 20cmx15cm each

Also Profito only contains trace elements. Consider using dry salts instead. It works out alot cheaper in the long run.

Back