• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First tank, help!!

TedKelly

Seedling
Hello fellows! I’m working on my first planted tank ever so there are some matters that I cannot decide. I want to have some colorful and cute fish with medium size in my tank, what would you recommend? Thanks a lot.

More questions:
  • Do you want to keep shrimp with those fish?
  • Which temperature will you set your tank to? Some fish prefer it hot, other prefer it colder, best not to mix those. Your plants may also influence that choice. (white clouds like it cool, discus likes it hot - not recommending the latter as they are not easy fish, but for the temperature example)
  • Does your tank have a closed lid or is it open top? (hatchetfish will jump)
  • Is the tank high or shallow? (angels need high tanks)
  • Does the tank have sand in it or partial sand, or is it all grit/coarse grit? (cory's like sand)

Maybe post some pictures? :)

If its a first time with fish choose easy to keep species. Doesn't restrict your choice eg plenty of compatible fish in say a South American themed aquarium as say a community set up. Research the fish though . Just a couple of tetra species in numbers or something like Platys Swordtails look great against greenery

Back