• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First try - 65L (now with a short clip)

schraptor

Hi guys,

My first attempt to planted aquarium. I'm still having some algae issues but hoping to resolve them once Koralia finally gets shipped. Any tips would be appreciated.

Aquarium Specifications:
Aquarium - 60x30x36cm normal glass (float)
Lighting - Hagen (2 x 24w Phillips 865), 8 hours
Filtration - TetraTec EX700 external
CO2 - 2kg pressurised, glass diffuser
Fertilisation - weekly 3x1ml EasyLife Profito, 7x 4ml EasyLife EasyCarbo, 3x EI macro
Decoration - 5-6kg local garden stones
Substrate - ADA Amazionia 9L

Some pictures of the tank:

Setting up hardscape about 1 month ago
IMG_4855.jpg

Filling up
IMG_4873.jpg

First day
IMG_4875.jpg

Three weeks later
IMG_5395.jpg

IMG_5398.jpg

Recent one (sorry for the mess :D )
room.jpg

Re: First try - 65L planted

Bloody hell, you've some skill to do this well first time. Care to share your set up procedure?

Thanks guys :D

I started the tank without fully functional filtration (first 4-5 days due to leaks) and DIY CO2, but I had to plant some plants urgently. The store in which I have ordered the tank was having 2 weeks delay, while I already had some plants in the bucket. I think this delay, freshly started filter and lack of proper flow is the reason why I'm still having some algae issues. Some of the plants were not really in best shape (e.g. Eleocharis Parvula) and were having a lot of brown leafs. HC, being freshly bought, was ok as can be seen on the pics.
First week I did 20-30% water changes everyday, second week every 2 days. Currently I do 20% water changes every 2-3 days, 50% on Sundays due to using EI.
I started micro and macro ferts with 1/3 of a dose after two weeks, now I use around 1/2 of normal dose. I've been overdosing EC since the beginning (~4ml a day), but am planning to decrease the dose since I recently started using pressurized CO2.

amazing, really nice tank let alone it being a first try! i sympathise with the issues you had at startup, but you did everything right and it looks amazing if only i could do that on my first try! the scape looks really nice, any chance of a recent front on full tank shot?

@fozziebear

Here are some taken this morning, cloudy winter day outside thus the colours and myself still learning how to properly shoot in manual mode :)

Front view - not sure why part of background plants grow unevenly as they were all trimmed to the same length, and yeah, I need to get some glassware. Those plastic pipes look really ugly. Same goes for lack of proper background, I might go for a pure black or blue one, something similar to Mark's "Prairie Lands".
IMG_5836.jpg

Kitchen view (you can see a bit of my photo wallpaper pearling :D ):
IMG_5843.jpg

Room view:
IMG_5839.jpg

Room view close-up:
IMG_5841.jpg

Yesterday I've made a radical trimming plus I've removed Bacopa from the tank (didn't really like the look of it in a tank of such size). Thinking about decreasing number of species and exchanging some plants with smaller ones or with smaller leafs. I would like to add some red-ish accent to the tank, any suggestions on the plants choice?

I'll try to post some pics once I'll get back from work :D

this tank is looking great. Have you trimmed the Limnophila to make it grow bushier? I think it is one of my favourite plants when bushy. As for the red plant, what sort of size are you looking for? if you want a small plant, maybe Alternanthera 'mini'?

cheers :D

pest control said:
this tank is looking great. Have you trimmed the Limnophila to make it grow bushier? I think it is one of my favourite plants when bushy. As for the red plant, what sort of size are you looking for? if you want a small plant, maybe Alternanthera 'mini'?

cheers :D

Thanks ! Yes I've already trimmed Limnophila three times. It grows incredibly fast and when reaching the surface tends to get this browny colour on the leafs, but at the same time it shades my HC carpet and parvula. As you mentioned, it gets bushier with every trim and you can see a lot of new runners. Same goes for Hydrocotyle leucocephala, which is almost not visible on the pics right now, as I cut it down really hard recently, but two small stems grow into 1,5 meter long ones (almost 3 times a length of the tank :D) in no time.
Regarding Alternanthera 'mini', I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is it also known under some other name?
Ideally I'm looking for something of a size of Hemianthus micranthemoide or Micranthemum umbrosum, with interesting leafs pattern (small ones) and being red :)

Here are some recent photos of a tank after the trim:

IMG_5901.jpg

IMG_5910.jpg

Also can someone confirm the name of the plant visible on the left side, here is the top view of the same:
IMG_5898.jpg

and a bottom / front view:
IMG_5902.jpg

Hi, it looks like Hygrophila corymbosa 'siamensis' to me. As for the Alternanthera, I'm not sure if it has another name, but it isn't what you're looking for, it has quite big leaves. I can't really think of a red plant with small leaves.

cheers :thumbup:

Superb, especially for a first attempt. You've certainly got plant growing skills!

The set up looks great in your kitchen.

Suitable red plants could include -

Alternanthera 'mini' (supplied by Aquafleur, available in some Maidenhead Aquatics)
Ludwigia arcuata
Ludwigia glandulosa
Ludwigia repens 'Rubin'
Rotala rotundifolia (there are different varieties, Far East variants tend to be redder AKA R. indica)
Rotala wallichii
Nesaea pedicellata
Pogostemon stellata
Proserpinaca palustris ''Cuba''

pest control said:
Hi, it looks like Hygrophila corymbosa 'siamensis' to me. As for the Alternanthera, I'm not sure if it has another name, but it isn't what you're looking for, it has quite big leaves. I can't really think of a red plant with small leaves.

cheers :thumbup:

Cheers for that, I also thought this looks like siamensis, but was not sure. It was given to me for free when I was buying the tank and other plants. From info I have gathered it seems to be a fast grower, so I will need to cut the tops and re-plant to make it more dense.

George Farmer said:
Superb, especially for a first attempt. You've certainly got plant growing skills!

The set up looks great in your kitchen.

Suitable red plants could include -

Alternanthera 'mini' (supplied by Aquafleur, available in some Maidenhead Aquatics)
Ludwigia arcuata
Ludwigia glandulosa
Ludwigia repens 'Rubin'
Rotala rotundifolia (there are different varieties, Far East variants tend to be redder AKA R. indica)
Rotala wallichii
Nesaea pedicellata
Pogostemon stellata
Proserpinaca palustris ''Cuba''

Thanks George. Looking at your tanks I still have a long way to go.
I will browse through the list and choose something suitable. I still have some doubts regarding Alternanthera 'mini', any links you can share? I can't seem to find it even on the list provided by Aquafleur http://www.aquadistri.com/nl/aquafleur/9999/

I can't find any links either, but I have seen it in the flesh in two of my local stores, as it's something I've considered myself. It must be a new addition to their line-up, and they haven't updated their website yet.

take a look here...click on "RYOBOKU: gallery and check out image number 61

http://www.adaitaly.com/galleria.html

Now it looks like rotala to me, but it'll give you an insight to different ways of achieving different looks just by trimming differently.

I love the way Amano has achieved 'lines' just by trimming high and what appears to be 'trimming the old lower leaves off' Just like a 'proper' artist he's painting not with paint, but with plants...The mans a genius :D

check all the other scapes...they'll make you fall in love with the hobby all over again.

Your on the right road to more and beautiful scapes, keep up the enthusiasm and the doors will open :thumbup:

Hi, nice scape you have there. I will be trimming ludwigia arcuata and could send you some. PM your address if you want it as your red plant. I am in love with this plant recently :oops:

Piece-of-fish said:
Hi, nice scape you have there. I will be trimming ludwigia arcuata and could send you some. PM your address if you want it as your red plant. I am in love with this plant recently :oops:

Well, thank you very much for the offer, but I'm afraid this would be a total waste of nice plants as am I'm not a UK citizen :)
I'm Polish and live in Poland (yeah, I know strange ... not UK, London :lol: )

I'm reading through UKAPS forum since few months now, and I find it very interesting, providing valuable input and what is different when compared to other forums - a constructive critique. I simply hate trolling ...
:thumbup:

Mark Evans said:
take a look here...click on "RYOBOKU: gallery and check out image number 61

http://www.adaitaly.com/galleria.html

Now it looks like rotala to me, but it'll give you an insight to different ways of achieving different looks just by trimming differently.

I love the way Amano has achieved 'lines' just by trimming high and what appears to be 'trimming the old lower leaves off' Just like a 'proper' artist he's painting not with paint, but with plants...The mans a genius :D

check all the other scapes...they'll make you fall in love with the hobby all over again.

Your on the right road to more and beautiful scapes, keep up the enthusiasm and the doors will open :thumbup:

Thanks Mark, I love these scapes. Looks like Amano is really patient with his trimming regime or he pays his employees well :)
I've seen yesterday a 3 part youtube (~30minutes) presentation from the visit in Amano's gallery and from the commentary provided there it looks like Amano is pretty much providing a good start to a scape and then a finishing touch, while all the maintenance in between is done by his padawans :)
Also many of his scapes are 2-4+ years old, the oldest one is 7 or 8 years old I believe.

Back