• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First try - 65L (now with a short clip)

Re: First try - 65L planted

hi,

I'm sure you really enjoy sitting next to your tank and just stare at it for hours. It looks very healthy and good.
Those close-up pics are really nice.

Keep the pics coming

cheers,

GM

Thanks GM for your comments. I really enjoy watching how this small Eco-system is running.
I shall spam from time to time showing how the tank is progressing :)

Once it fills-in nicely I plan to have more serious photo session, you know - extra light sources, removing all unnecessary equipment, cleaning the tank to be spotless, etc.

Small trimming update.

Glosso / Hydrocotyle sp. Japan 'carpet' before trimming:

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

After the trimming (in 2-3 weeks it should fill out nicely to previous state):

IMG_0598.jpg

10 days after trimming the Glosso/sp.Japan carpet. This grows way to fast ...

IMG_0757.jpg

And a full tank shot:

cut.jpg

Re: First try - 65L planted (yet another guppies)

Thanks guys for your comments. I really like textures of different mosses and their contrasting colors against lush greens of Glossostigma and Hydrocotyle sp. Japan.

My single female guppy gave birth to new generation (again) - around 40 or so of them. This is getting too much for a tank of this size, especially that it is supposed to be planted one :)

young_guppies.jpg

I've made some test video in 1080p. Picture is shaking a bit as it is hand-held but I shall find a nice tripod under the Christmas tree this year :D . Appreciate any tips on good quality, yet affordable tripod for EOS 550D (160+ cm preferred). I heard Manfrotto is a good choice.

Did you mix christmas mos and javamos on that particular branch? And do you just trim it, to keep it low and dense constantly? Cos it looks really good.

AndersH said:
Did you mix christmas mos and javamos on that particular branch? And do you just trim it, to keep it low and dense constantly? Cos it looks really good.

AndersH it is only Christmas moss. I have trimmed it three times since the tank restart (2 months) but not too hard, well maybe last trim was a bigger one. Apart from trimming and vacuuming it with hose during weekly water changes, I don't have too much work with it. What I have learned is that when you want moss to grow-in nicely and cover certain piece of wood / stone, it is better to spread it across the whole surface, not stacking too much in one place. See page 3 for some pictures on initial setup. One small cup of Christmas was enough to get it into current state in no time.

Yeah saw those pics. I might have misread that you mixed the mosses.
Thanks for the answer. I'm expecting some mos (spikey) in a few days, so great tip in the spreading.

Thanks Mark. I believe it is, I've bought it via Internet and it was marked as Christmas although I can't be 100% sure. I'll try to grab a close-up on the moss so I can compare it with the googled one.
Apart from Christmas, I've also flame, java and weeping moss in the tank. I like mosses more than e.g. riccia due to their lower growth rate, but on the other hand riccia's cuttings float on the surface, while moss cuttings float everywhere in the tank and can be only suctioned during water change effectively.

HM visible in the last picture is a survivor from previous scape. I've ripped all of it around 4 months ago, then re-scaped tank, yet HM has somehow re-appeared 2-3 weeks ago. A single stem must have survived in the substrate and is now spreading :)

Back