• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish choice

Seanogleby

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for small fish that look good in a small group.

The tank is 80l. I was thinking cardinals as my initial thought.

The tank will also house corys.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I'd second the green neons if you like cardinals. With a smaller fish you can have more of them.

How many would you say?

There will be 5-6 corys too.

How are you filtering the tank, how heavily planted are you planning and what is your water change regime likely to be? All these would have a bearing on how many you can keep but I'd initially add 10-12 and consider doubling that number when the tank matures.

How are you filtering the tank, how heavily planted are you planning and what is your water change regime likely to be? All these would have a bearing on how many you can keep but I'd initially add 10-12 and consider doubling that number when the tank matures.

External filter- 800l/hr
I'd said medium planted
Water regime is whatever really, what it requires.

External filter- 800l/hr
I'd said medium planted
Water regime is whatever really, what it requires.

Sounds like you should be fine with a decent bioload in that volume. If you are going for green neons I think 20 or so would be fine with the cories once mature, if cardinals then I'd reduce that number slightly and say 12-14. I normally tend to start stocking slow and add more if the tank can handle it.

Tank dimensions are as important as tank volume, so perhaps include those as well :)

I have Ember tetra´s. Great character fish, they are lively but very friendly and stay small. I´d love to keep them in the future as a big school in a bigger tank.
But I sometimes wish I chose the green neons as my Ember´s stay pretty pale in colour. On pictures they are always brighter. But my water is pretty hard, maybe softer water is better..

Back