• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish I.D. Please

Henry

Could somebody give me a positive identification of my fish please? They were bought from Maidenhead Aquatics in Blackpool. Sold under Badis badis, but with a picture of Badis benegalensis next to them, I wasn't sure what I was getting.

I have a feeling they're either B. assamensis, B. kanabos, or B. pyema. I'm pretty sure they're wild stock, judging by the dreadful state they were in at the shop, and the mixture of maturity levels in the shipment.

The male is just over an inch long, with the female slightly smaller. I don't think they have reached full maturity, but they are displaying some breeding behaviour.

Ignore the knackered looking plants, they've only just gone in.

20130429_163307_zpsda9b762b.jpg

Thanks,

They have done a similar thing in my lfs with these and I've had trouble trying to identify them.
The closest I could come to was B.pyema but by no means sure,sorry.

I'm pretty convinced they're B. pyema too. If they are, I'm really chuffed, since they're apparently very uncommon in the hobby.

As a side note, they seem to be very aggressive toward shrimp. My small tank was cleared of a thriving population of cherry shrimp within a few days, apparently inexplicably. The one shrimp that survived was transferred, with all of the fish, to their new 90L home. I just observed the male Badis pull off it's swimmerets and kill it. Needless to say I shan't be putting any more in there!

I'm not sure about this type of Badis but my Dario Dario will only eat live food,fortunately due to their smaller size they tend to leave the shrimp alone although they may take a few shrimplets.

Miranda, I've started a freshwater copepod culture, since they won't touch anything that doesn't have a pulse. The male is really rather boisterous; he comes up to see off my hand when it's in the tank!

Thanks Ian, I'm very pleased with them. They're settling in nicely, and I'm hoping for a spawn at some point in the near future.
Here's a better picture of the male, though still not fully coloured up:

20130429_204844_zps777b2b07.jpg

Looking promising for future breeding then Henry :) I had a devil of a job getting a female Dario Dario as they are so rarely traded but mine don't seem to have fallen in love yet lol

Throw in some Katappa leaves and give them a cave or two to hide in. With plenty of live food they should be breeding in no time.

Gill, I'm pretty horrified at how they've treated my poor shrimp. I had around 20 adults and numerous young 'til I put these guys in the tank. They didn't take long to pick the poor sods off.

Tom, the male is a total sex pest :D Thankfully, I chose to house them in a 30" tank, which is heavily planted and decorated with some large pieces of wood. The female can always finds refuge when she needs to. The male will harass her, but it can't be too bad since she doesn't make much effort to swim away. I think the male gets the message eventually and goes back to his man cave. Come to think of it, this somewhat mirrors the relationship between the missus and myself :facepalm:

Full tank shot, for good measure (its been up and running for 3 days):

20130429_223154_zps2f272681.jpg

Back