• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish identification please.

Ady34

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi,
bought myself a few additional fish today and did something i never do.... bought a fish i knew nothing about :oops: :wideyed: .
They came to maidenhead aquatics as flying fox, but i know nothing about their temperament, size, etc and was wondering if anyone could help out.
Its very shy at the moment so unfortunately this is the only shot i have, but it may be enough for someone who has any experience of them?

feb20122637.jpg

Cheers,
Ady.

Ady... Flying Fox cause a lot of confusion as they are usually a multitude of closely related species lumped under the same common name by lazy wholesalers and retailers. (And this is where I would usually get on my soap box and laud the benefits of using proper taxonomic names rather than common names which can vary so widely, but its late, so I wont, LOL).

I believe the "TRUE" flying fox is Crossocheilus Siamensis (which if you google, you can see has a black stripe running horizontally along it and into its tail fin). Yours, to be honest, looks more like what some stores are currently calling a "Doctor Fish" which is related to the Garra Ruffa's. Its a darkish picture, but I am not convinced its a true flying fox you got there mate :( Also with the Crossocheilus Siamensis you will find they grow quickly (mine doubled in size in 4 weeks and went STRAIGHT BACK ! LOL). And when they get bigger they get quite stroppy. Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear. :(

Cheers guys, i know the two common types of flying fox, i used to have a siamensis before i gassed it :( , and of course the original yellower fish with the stripe. My google image search only came up with one that looked similar with the checkerboard markings and caudal spot, but you had to be a member of the site to gain access to whatever it was they had to say about it and i couldnt be bothered in all honesty, thought id rely on the UKAPS knowledge. Maidenhead have obviously been sent them and is probably in the same family, but just wondered if anyone knew for definate.... i dont want a bully or a 12" tank buster! :wideyed:

Hey Ady :wave:

Looks to me like a Crossocheilus reticulatus, quick Google search shows it's also known as a silver flying fox as well as a reticulated algae eater so think that's where the confusion arose from.

I remember sanj making a nice post regarding siamese algae eater/ flying fox identification in which a fish looking quite a bit like yours featured, the links below:
sanj's crossocheilus siamensis identification thread

Seems like he will get quite big but should have a better temperament than that of the flying fox Chris described earlier.

Off topic:
Read about the CO2 issues you had and the lost fish, sorry to hear about that. Happy to see you enjoying everything so much still though, good luck with the IAPLC too! :thumbup:

I’ve been very lax with my updates, sorry... :oops: My tanks ticking along but i’m far from happy with it. CO2 issues of course, especially behind the hardscape so growth isn’t as rampant as I would like. May invest in a Lunapet adjustable working pressure regulator. Trying to stave off the aquascaping itch currently but feel like I’ve learnt quite a bit from the current project, all par for the course in this hobby though it seems!

All the best,
Joe

Hi Joe,
thanks for the links, its definitely a reticulatus :thumbup:
That first link you posted was the same google image i found but i somehow missed the name :rolleyes: .
And in Sanjs identification thread the last one is the one i have so as you say it looks to be a well natured but bigger one!
Dont know why i never used the search tool on here aswell, should never presume its too specific a topic as you just never know!

Pleased to hear from you again, i remember a while ago posting on your journal to see how things were going after noticing your absence. Seems everyone struggles with ruddy c02, would have thought your distribution would have been ok though running and FX5 via spraybar if i remember rightly? Would be nice to see a proper journal update, even if things arnt as you would ideally like....what fish did you opt for etc etc?
Thanks for the IAPLC well wishing and the condolences, loosing the fish was not one of my high points in the aquascaping journey, but a big lesson learned and as you say im still enjoying it.
Hope to hear a bit more from you on the forum again.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Back