• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish tank water on the garden

ChrisP

Hi all quick question, when I do a water change I tend to siphon it to a water butt and then use that to water the garden. Thinking the fert (TNC complete) used in the tank would also be good in the garden. But last year I found the plants turned yellow-ey after I had used it on them. it could just be a coincidence but has anyone found the same?

I’m currently using it on my potted fruit trees and they seem happy enough, but following closely to see if this might be something I should reconsider!

I do too, but I'm also aware my aquarium is very lean - there is probably more nitrate in tap than tank. So don't just assume that aquairum water will have all the nutrients. Water from a fish only tank is probably much better, full of excess nutrients, where are planted tank water may have already had a lot of the good stuff taken up by your aquarium plants.

Back