• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fissidens is well hard

hotweldfire

Have had a pile of hardscape materials sitting out in the garden in a jumbled pile for months. Some lava rock, dragon stone, mopani wood and some redmoor. Clearing them out 'cos I got someone in to sort out the mess that is the garden and look what I found:

6929497579_f9903e48ff.jpg
Hard fissidens by hotweldfire, on Flickr

Fissidens fontanus growing on a stick of redmoor. Keep in mind this has been sitting on gravel and has recently been covered in snow. Occurs to me it might be worth trying to grow this in demand, painfully slow growing, moss emersed, no?

hotweldfire said:
Err, despite this being a miracle of nature I'm afraid I've chucked it.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: People have had ten lashes for less than that !!! :lol:

Ok, I was wrong. This stuff is not well hard. That doesn't do it justice. It's like the Begbie of the moss world.

Turns out I didn't throw it away, I actually put it in an opaque box then put that in a shed. So has been sitting in complete darkness for three weeks. Also, turns out there were two sticks. First pic crap, sorry. Phone camera appeared to be more interested in the garden fence:

6833044568_f8c91dbf22.jpg
Blurry fissidens by hotweldfire, on Flickr

6979166817_9e60fc9776.jpg
Miracle fissidens by hotweldfire, on Flickr

Back