• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fissidens sp. 'vietnam'

"Is it 'Fissidens Miroshaki'?
About two years ago, I went to a creek near where I live (Acre - Brazil - Amazon), and I found this moss. I placed it in two aquariums I have and saw that it adapted well to immersion, despite being resistant to various conditions like temperature, with or without CO2. However, I noticed that it has an extremely slow growth rate.This week, I returned to the site and collected more (see photos) and, along with it, I also found two other species that I'm adding to the aquarium. One is quite similar to weeping moss, and the other one I can't distinguish (see photos).I would like your help in identifying them because I may have found Fissidens Miroshaki in its natural habitat."

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-11 at 19.38.10 - Copia.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-11 at 19.38.10 - Copia.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 83
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-10-11 at 19.39.55 - Copia.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-11 at 19.39.55 - Copia.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 55
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-10-11 at 19.40.26 - Copia.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-11 at 19.40.26 - Copia.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 54
About two years ago, I went to a creek near where I live (Acre - Brazil - Amazon), and I found this moss. I placed it in two aquariums I have and saw that it adapted well to immersion, despite being resistant to various conditions like temperature, with or without CO2. However, I noticed that it has an extremely slow growth rate.This week, I returned to the site and collected more (see photos) and, along with it, I also found two other species that I'm adding to the aquarium. One is quite similar to weeping moss, and the other one I can't distinguish (see photos).I would like your help in identifying them because I may have found Fissidens Miroshaki in its natural habitat."
I can't really comment re identification but love the fact you are looking into / paying attention to / appreciating nature!

Welcome to the forum.

The moss in the first image certainly looks like a Miroshaki style of moss, but the are a number of variants so it's impossible (for me at least) to identify exactly which one it might be.

Hi all,
One is quite similar to weeping moss, and the other one I can't distinguish (see photos).I would like your help in identifying them because I may have found Fissidens Miroshaki in its natural habitat
The Fissidens sp, moss is unlikely <"to be one in cultivation">, and your mosses may even be new to science.

Unfortunately naming bryophytes is <"notoriously difficult">, and even the ones native to W. Europe <"maybe wrongly named in cultivation">.

The first place to look would be at a bryophyte flora for Brazil, there maybe an online one, I'll have a look and see what I can find <"https://www.researchgate.net/publication/284639975_Bryophytes_diversity_in_Brazil">.

It might be worth having a look on "iNaturalist", this was a search for Bryophyta and Brazil <"Observations">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Where do you get the mesh pads from? I bought one from eBay but the quality wasn’t good and felt that it could cut my fish.

They re made by ISTA:

(Also available on Amazon and eBay, but still from Finest Filters)

They are basically a moulded ceramic block, with a removable stainless mesh that is held in place buy four bendable wire clips embedded into the ceramic. I can't imagine any fish injuries from them as the ceramic block is lipped around the edges, so the sharper edges of the mesh sit within it, somewhat shielded.

They work very well as they allow you to chop a tiny portion of moss really fine, spread it onto the ceramic, and clamp it down with the mesh (or visa versa is sometimes easier). This then grows into a full pad of moss over time for easy propagation.

Back