• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flame Gourami.

Martin cape

Hi guys.

Nearly 2 weeks ago I got 4 Flame Gourami. I have one left.

Are these guys difficult to acclimatise to a tank which has pressurised CO2? As obviously there was no CO2 in the LFS. All the other fish are doing fine.

Hi
I have a newish pair of dwarf Gourami (1 month) in my tank that I'm adding Co2 to and they seem fine (infact they look great). I would have though been anabantoids and able to breath air they would be fairly resilient to Co2 levels?. I believe there are reports of many of these been imported with a fatal virus Dwarf gourami iridovirus DGIV (was mentioned recently in PFK but I could only find an old link Aquarium trade may have spread gourami virus | News | Practical Fishkeeping. I enquired about this when I bought mine and my local fish shop (a very good shop, one of the best in the country) assured me they didn't have problems with their importer and the breeders 'guaranteed there's to be free form the virus so I made the purchase. Maybe you've got unlucky?

Russ

Hi guys.

... Flame Gourami....

Are these guys difficult to acclimatise to a tank which has pressurised CO2....

This is definitely not your fault, and not CO2 - this is quite frequent statistics for imported Colisa Lalia. Just one advice - try to buy these guys after a substantial quarantine in your local shop.

Thanks guys.

Last one looked a bit ropey last night. Think its on its way out too. Ill find out when I get home from work.

I enquired about this when I bought mine and my local fish shop (a very good shop, one of the best in the country) assured me they didn't have problems with their importer and the breeders 'guaranteed there's to be free form the virus so I made the purchase.

Quite a bold statement from your LFS's supplier saying they can guarantee free from the virus. But nice to hear they are at least trying to source them well. Took me 6 months to find anywhere with dwarf gourami's without at least one dead from the virus in the tank at the LFS.

Well my last one is still alive. Looks ok. But time will tell I guess. I wanted 4 in there. Got one. But don't want to waste more money on new ones.

Have a look at the natural coloured honey gourami, these are lovely little dwarf gouramis they do better in groups as well. They colour up nice as well. They will sometimes be quite dull in lfs's but when settled they look great.

Back