• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Float auto top off.

Jaseon

Im looking to set up an auto top off for my shrimp tanks, but unsure about the pump end, and how it works. Ive seen it set up for water changes with a timer, but not for topping up.

Looking to go down the float route. Im thinking it cant be done with these as there needs to be a sensor involved. ive seen the ones with the sensors, but a bit pricey.

iu

Last edited:
If you are using the float to automate the process, you shouldn't need any automation on the pump side. The inlet should be permanently pressurized for the system to work, and the float would open and shut as needed. If the reservoir were above the tank, you wouldn't need a pump at all, only gravity. If using a pump, you could just leave it on all the time, which sounds wasteful, or set a timer where it turns on for a minute or so once or maybe a few times a day and, if the level is low, the float will let the water through.

You just need to find a pump that is strong enough to pump the water through your system, but not so strong that the float won't hold when shut.

One more note, if the line is not permanently pressurized, you should use a one-way valve to prevent the tank from draining when the float opens and the pump is off, assuming that the output of the float is submerged even when the tank needs filling up.

Im looking to set up an auto top off for my shrimp tanks, but unsure about the pump end, and how it works. Ive seen it set up for water changes with a timer, but not for topping up.

Looking to go down the float route. Im thinking it cant be done with these as there needs to be a sensor involved. ive seen the ones with the sensors, but a bit pricey.

iu

Yes, you'd need a sensor or timer for the pump to switch it off, continuous running the pump against that back pressure would probably burn it out.

You can get ATO kits for less than £50 (worth looking around today as its Black Friday):

Alternatively if you don't mid the aesthetics of having a bottle on the side of the tank, there are some very cheap options that use simple physics:

Amazon product ASIN B07ZRDG9RK

If you are using the float to automate the process, you shouldn't need any automation on the pump side. The inlet should be permanently pressurized for the system to work, and the float would open and shut as needed. If the reservoir were above the tank, you wouldn't need a pump at all, only gravity. If using a pump, you could just leave it on all the time, which sounds wasteful, or set a timer where it turns on for a minute or so once or maybe a few times a day and, if the level is low, the float will let the water through.

You just need to find a pump that is strong enough to pump the water through your system, but not so strong that the float won't hold when shut.

One more note, if the line is not permanently pressurized, you should use a one-way valve to prevent the tank from draining when the float opens and the pump is off, assuming that the output of the float is submerged even when the tank needs filling up.
I understand how the float itself functions, and that there's the option of leaving the pump on, but thought there was same way to attach a sensor to activate the pump when needed.

Was just looking at this which is more what i was looking for. Or just a simple bottle system which looks interesting.
iu

ATO19__1617951552_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Yes, you'd need a sensor or timer for the pump to switch it off, continuous running the pump against that back pressure would probably burn it out.

You can get ATO kits for less than £50 (worth looking around today as its Black Friday):

Alternatively if you don't mid the aesthetics of having a bottle on the side of the tank, there are some very cheap options that use simple physics:

Amazon product ASIN B07ZRDG9RK
I dont mind the bottle ones to be honest.

I understand how the float itself functions, and that there's the option of leaving the pump on, but thought there was same way to attach a sensor to activate the pump when needed.
If you use a level sensor to activate the pump, you don't need the float, just a one-way valve. If it were a large system, you could use a pressure sensor to keep the line pressurized without having the pump on all the time, but for such a small system, it's better to set the pump to turn on once a day for a minute, it should be enough.

Back