• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Floater cover...

ajadcock

Hi all,

I have a question about my floater coverage:

55b21ba9013c4ef53a43abeccf22ed06.jpg

Because of the almost total coverage I have very little surface agitation, so reduced gas exchange.
My question is do you think would the floaters release enough o2 into the water to not worry about it?
Oh and its posted in here as its a low tech :)
Thanks!

Adam

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I think that you need agitation to get the dissolved O2 in to the rest of the water column, otherwise I reckon a lot will be trapped just under the surface and eventually lost to the atmosphere.
Lemna minor isn't my favourite floater there are many others more suitable and more able to withstand agitation, which is perhaps more important if you want to maintain a healthy gas exchange, both O2 and CO2. But just my opinion it may well be wrong...:p

I agree with Troi.

Essentially, under a low mix of water you are likely to suffer stratification in the water, which basically means that the oxygen in the top will not mix with the underlying water, so any oxygen generated by the floating plants will not help much in the tanks. Best way to compensate this without disturbing Lemmna minor is to ensure sub-surface circulation of water by having the outlet from the filter several centimeter below the surface.

Thanks for the replys guys :)

So, my spray bar sits about 1.5 inches below the surface firing straight across the tank.

After a spot of faffing bits of debris make it across the tank pretty rapidly in the flow, so I think that part is alright. It just doesn't break the surface!

Troi - What floaters would be better suited to having some agitation?

(PS, my poor photography has made salvinia minima look like lemna minor go me! )

Hi all,
I think that you need agitation to get the dissolved O2 in to the rest of the water column, otherwise I reckon a lot will be trapped just under the surface and eventually lost to the atmosphere.
I'd thin the Salvinia a bit. I usually thin it to about 50% cover in the winter when there is less ambient light, and 2/3 coverage in the summer.

I also run a venturi on the filters.

cheers Darrel

Hi all

I heath robinsoned a venturi on a power head earlier today - instantly removed it :)
Took forever to get it to create suction and draw in air and when it did - Bloody temperamental and LOUD!

Sigh.

Moving on!

Back