• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Floating plant help

Mattant1984

Hi all,
I've never been the greatest fan of floating plants however since reading more about the benefits of them I would like to try some in my tank again.

My new tank has glass sliders and wanted to know if this would cause any issues with growth etc??

Also what type would be easy to keep

Many thanks

My new tank has glass sliders and wanted to know if this would cause any issues with growth etc??
Should be fine 😊

Also what type would be easy to keep
Amazon frogbit is highly recommended for "duckweed index" purposes, as the leaf is not covered in any fine hairs like some of the other floating plants, so that makes them "easy to read" the color of :thumbup:

Some more candidates:
Salvinia: fuzzy hairs on the top of the leaves, nice short roots that wont get in the way of the view.
Pistia: Can get quite big if you let it, big bushy roots make a great hiding place for fry and shrimp. Peach fuzz on leaves.
Red root floaters: The most "demanding" of the floating plants. Short roots that can turn bright red in some conditions. Leaves slightly peachfuzzy, under nitrate limitation they also turn red, so it can be used as a nitrate indicator 🙂

Would avoid duckweed itself, its really hard to get rid of if you should ever change your mind about having it 😁

Most floating plants are true light hogs and need a certain amount of light intensity to thrive. That could be an issue with water-stained sliders from calcium-rich water, for the rest if the light is enough it won't be a problem. If you encounter any issues you might need to upgrade the light source.

Most floating plants are true light hogs and need a certain amount of light intensity to thrive. That could be an issue with water-stained sliders from calcium-rich water, for the rest if the light is enough it won't be a problem. If you encounter any issues you might need to upgrade the light source.
I tend to keep my sliders pretty clean however they do get dirty quite quickly. I could take them out I supose

I could take them out I supose

That is an option, also to enjoy the looks of the floating plants some more... Depending on which you choose or get your hand on you might also get some flowers to enjoy.

That is an option, also to enjoy the looks of the floating plants some more... Depending on which you choose or get your hand on you might also get some flowers to enjoy.

I'll try and get hold of some and see how they do with the sliders still in place at first but could always remove if needed.

Does frogbit grow and multiply quickly in good conditions??

:) In relative terms yes it does... Good conditions go a long way and are a trial and error... I've managed to kill it in one of my tanks and actually don't know why. (But Conditions)

Have a look at the Tropica website.

They tag all plants by difficulty, starting with picking a plant with the green Easy tag. If it does well in your conditions you might want to go a step further with the orange-tagged "Medium" plants and see where it ends. The Advanced (Red) section is exclusively for High light intensity and CO² enriched aquariums.

Last edited:
Back