• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

floating wood!!!

lori

Seedling
Hi

I am new to this, but thanks to the site (and my husband's £70 lottery win, ha ha) I have now planted my tank which has stood gathering dust for 4 years.
I used moler clay for substrate, and filled and planted it last week. I attached some plants to bogwood which was ok , and some more to a nice curly branch I used to use for flower arranging, sadly this dislodged from the substrate and has been merrily floating around!!!( the plants are ok though, they must like being near the light) and the wood looks as if it is slowwly sinking, can anyone suggest a way of making it stay down, I thought about wiring it into small terracotta pots, then filling these with pebble and butying in the substrate, would this work?

I have the same issue, Im in the process of screwing the base of the wood to some floor tiles I will then hide the tile under Gravel and wait as some wood can take upto a year to waterlog propely

Oh No

but the upside is that I will have interesting wood at varying levels until it does.

Do you know any fishermen or have a tackle shop near your? Some 3 lb line and a few pear distance leads will help till its logged. You can push the leads into the clay you wont see them. The line will be hardly noticable, then in a mth or so snip the line off job done.:)

hi kap k

we live near the sea so yes to tackle shops. quite what the response would be to my request may be a sourse of amusement for most of the locals!!!

Depends how big the wood is! I had some pieces about 2ft ish that i attached to spoons ( quick/lazy fix...) and took around a month to waterlog.

I will answer with pictures

66261505.jpg

98040889.jpg

21934228.jpg

Was enough to keep it down since the very beggining.

Back