• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flooding anxiety...

Karacticus

I have had a couple of low level mishaps involving pipes that I have (purposely) disconnected whilst forgetting about the siphon effect of 300l of water above the pipework and filter. One was me forgetting and the other was this weekend when trying to get the air pocket out of a new CO2 reactor set-up. That has a tiny leak, which I am hoping to sort this evening - but last night I woke at 3am panicking that a pipe will have disconnected and the living room would be flooded, so I had to go and check it and then barely slept afterwards. I now have this feeling of anxiety that a pipe will pop off somewhere and ruin our house at some point in the future. I can't deal with that stress, if it happens!

Does anyone else have this issue? I have secured all connections with either the Oase screw clamps or jubilee clips, but I am considering going back to just the inline diffuser which felt safer (fewer pipes and joins). The water is fired through at a reasonable pressure - is it possible that this could disconnect a pipe? Want to enjoy what I've got rand not have to worry about it.

You can get flood alarms to detect a leak. The basic ones just set off a siren when they get wet. Googling it does look like you can get smart ones now - e.g. tapo T300 which connect to your phone via wifi. Which I would guess would mean you could get really fancy and use a smart plug on your filter power lead and set it so if your flood alarm was activated it turned your filter off automatically. Disclaimer - I've not actually used the flood alarm.

I know you can get non return valves for airline - not sure if there is something similar for larger diameter filter pipes. I'm guessing your outflow is relatively high up on the tank so even if it did break a connection and theb start syphoning onto the floor there would be a limit to how much water before it cut off. Obviously a bucket full is still a pain, but it's not 300l worth :)

I get that anxiety and I always experience it to a degree when Ive taken everything apart for a good clean.

Easy way to limit flooding is to have a small hole in the suction tube in the aquarium. That way, if you spring a leak, the syphon is broken when the water level reaches the hole.

You can get flood alarms to detect a leak. The basic ones just set off a siren when they get wet. Googling it does look like you can get smart ones now - e.g. tapo T300 which connect to your phone via wifi. Which I would guess would mean you could get really fancy and use a smart plug on your filter power lead and set it so if your flood alarm was activated it turned your filter off automatically. Disclaimer - I've not actually used the flood alarm.

I know you can get non return valves for airline - not sure if there is something similar for larger diameter filter pipes. I'm guessing your outflow is relatively high up on the tank so even if it did break a connection and theb start syphoning onto the floor there would be a limit to how much water before it cut off. Obviously a bucket full is still a pain, but it's not 300l worth :)
Thanks, @tam . Will have a look at an alarm. I think my issue is that the inlet is a good 20cm below surface level, so whilst it wouldn't claim all my water it would be a good amount.
I get that anxiety and I always experience it to a degree when Ive taken everything apart for a good clean.

Easy way to limit flooding is to have a small hole in the suction tube in the aquarium. That way, if you spring a leak, the syphon is broken when the water level reaches the hole.
I did read about this today, actually. I use glass lily pipes, though, so guess I'd have to go with something more plastic. Shame they don't do this on glassware - would make a lot of sense. And good to know I'm not the only one! I think if I can't easily stem the leak, I might ditch the reactor as felt safer when there wasn't a swirling pool of water in a plastic container!

These threads might help

Thanks, @Tim Harrison. Those discussions have put my mind at rest somewhat and someone's comment reminded me how tricky it is to get the hose off the pipe connectors sometimes! Still might look at an alarm, though! 😊 Hoping the reactor will be worth it in the long term.

I think those "smart" leak detectors & plugs should help you sleep much better.
The hole in the inlet pipe is your insurance both are easy and simple. Even better would be a plastic bowl / tray / container to collect any leaking water and put the leak alarm in that. My canister filter sits in a small washing up bowl.

Canister / external filters / plumbing seldom go wrong in a big way and and you'll normally have a small leak long before it's a big leak.
Water changing, I think that is where most people end up with opps moments, I use 22mm hose into the back yard to empty, and 16mm to fill from a water butt, takes me about 20 mins to change 150l. Mark the tank, mark the water butt and you'll not have any over flows.

Float valves, ball float, cistern valves can be used to stop water, in either direction. By simply fitting it upside down, they will release water when above a certain height. Aliexpress & ebay do small plastic ones, may not be very aesthetic and an headache to fit securely.

There are brass "1 way" valves ( called "check valve" / "non return valve") that fit standard water pipe sizes, but they need a reasonable amount of pressure otherwise the flow slows to a trickle. they are made for operating at normal mains pressure. In a closed system were your pumping water round and round using 1 way valves won't work, nor for siphoning water out . (">>>" = valve direction ) eg Tank water >>> bucket, the valve the other way around Tank water <<< bucket would result in no flow.

No one is perfect in life and we might sometimes forget to tighten things up properly. This said, when both hose and barb fittings are properly sized, they become quite difficult to separate, in some instance virtually impossible and they need to be cut. In fact, being an open system, there isn't much pressure in the tubbing that would allow this to happen anyway.

I personally avoid like the plague steel hose clamps (what you call jubilee clips). I cringe when I see these being used on silicone/PVC hoses. In my opinion these have no business being in an aquarium water system, unless there really isn't any other choice or the hose is adapted to the clamp. These clamps can create unnecessary pressure on the tube and fittings which are not designed for this. If you go overboard you could even cut the tubbing. These clamps are normally made for hoses that are reinforced to sustain the crushing pressure, usually in cars, or any other closed-loop pressurized systems that uses rubber/PVC braided or textile reinforced hoses.

For the Oase screw clamps or any other brand for that matter, it is VERY unlikely that they would separate. Even in the event that the screw broke, if the fitting is barbed it would be quite difficult for the hose to get separated from the fitting. It would require quite some force. Even without a barb, it's not that easy. Some of my connections have no barbs and are just pressure fitted and they have not moved a single bit in years. I am actually more worried about a suction cup letting go my skimmer and throwing water everywhere.

Thanks, both. I'll look at getting a tray. The reactor does have its own screw clamps, but they didn't look that solid to me so I went with the screw clamps instead, as sure someone else recommended them due to the reactor being a bit leaky at the pipe connections. It all looks dry and secure for now, so I think I'll just leave it for the time being and reassess next time I come to clean/maintain it.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Water changing, I think that is where most people end up with opps moments, I use 22mm hose into the back yard to empty, and 16mm to fill from a water butt, takes me about 20 mins to change 150l
And I use a similar system, @jaisol . Use hose into garden and then connect to mains to fill. I watch it like a hawk!

They absolutely have given Tangela the card he deserved in the latest 151 set

IMG_2723.jpeg

Not trying to raise your anxiety again @Karacticus, but thought I’d share @Iain Sutherland ’s “bugger” moment and top tip, “why you should use jubilee clips”

1693933407288.jpeg

Not trying to raise your anxiety again @Karacticus, but thought I’d share @Iain Sutherland ’s “bugger” moment and top tip, “why you should use jubilee clips”

View attachment 210308

Exactly why jubilee clips are not meant for aquarium use IMO. People use them because they are so common, but that’s not their intended use.

Last edited:
Ive done away with external filter, complete pain in the bum trying to get them started in cabinets

I usually overflow nanno tamks
Put the small filler pipe ftom my hma over the glass and fill slowly, get bored so just nip to do something else then forget im filling a tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back