• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flourish and Flourish Excel

Fluxtor

Hi all, just wondering if zeolite and carbon would have a negative impact on dosing flourish and flourish excel? I have a small amount of both in my internal filter which it came with. I know carbon can strip out some treatments but but will it strip out ferts etc?

Activated Carbon is said to have none or very minimal effect, Zeolite l always thought it was put in the filter only temporarily?

Hi all,
just wondering if zeolite and carbon would have a negative impact on dosing flourish and flourish excel?
The zeolite will probably be an ammonia (NH3) specific one, they <"aren't products"> I'd ever use (there are much <"better ways of removing ammonia">). Activated Charcoal won't remove any "ions" and plants take up their nutrients from solution as ions. In terms of the Flourish Excel, probably this <"Activated Carbon and EasyCarbo / Flourish Excel">.

If we assume that products like Flourish Excel aid plant growth by supplying extra plant available carbon (C) (the mechanism isn't clear <"15.6.5. Liquid CO2">) the plant can only make use of that if all the <"other nutrients needed for plant growth are available">, and the problem with "Flourish Excel" is that it is only supplying very small quantities of some of these <"TNC Complete Dosage">.

I'll be honest I have a <"very jaundiced view"> of a lot of products sold by the aquatic industry - <"Aqua Noob">.
My personal opinion is that a lot of the aquarium literature, and advertising by the vendors of various products, is either wrong or designed to make <"you buy a product"> of <"no practical value what so ever">.
I have to apologise to @Miss-Pepper at this point (it is a bit of a rant), but have a look at <"Bedside Aquarium"> those are my views distilled.

cheers Darrel

Activated Carbon is said to have none or very minimal effect, Zeolite l always thought it was put in the filter only temporarily?
Yeah it's a rip off cartridge that comes with the internal inbuilt filter of the Superfish Quadro Pro range of tanks. They expect you to change the cartridge on a regular basis. I'm probably going to just swap out the media for something else over a period of time.

Hi all,
Yeah it's a rip off cartridge .......... They expect you to change the cartridge on a regular basis.
I bet they do, and <"it really annoys me">. Activated charcoal is actually a <"decent biological filter medium">, once it is no longer "activated".

Personally I'd like to see a least a <"modicum of honesty"> from the vendors of filter media etc. I'm sure <"in the long run"> it would be <"to their"> (and our) advantage.
I'm probably going to just swap out the media for something else over a period of time.
I'm assuming you could use sponge. I buy the big sponge blocks they use for Koi ponds etc from <"Rainbow Koi in Melksham">. <"This is on a powerhead">, but I cut the sponges down for all sorts of uses. You can buy sponge sheets as well.

powerhead1-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I bet they do, and <"it really annoys me">. Activated charcoal is actually a <"decent biological filter medium">, once it is no longer "activated".

Personally I'd like to see a least a <"modicum of honesty"> from the vendors of filter media etc. I'm sure <"in the long run"> it would be <"to their"> (and our) advantage.

I'm assuming you could use sponge. I buy the big sponge blocks they use for Koi ponds etc from <"Rainbow Koi in Melksham">. <"This is on a powerhead">, but I cut the sponges down for all sorts of uses. You can buy sponge sheets as well.

View attachment 217418

cheers Darrel
Rainbow Koi in Melksham ... omg. So I started my koi journey there a few years ago and have done the grow and show once. Haven't been in for a while though! What a small world :)
The cartridge has 2 coarse sponges and some carbon and zeolite sandwiched between. I might swap the carbon and zeolite for some k1 from my bio on my pond :)

Back