• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flow, Aeration and Fish

In my country, there are rumours that some people have managed to keep Acorus and Ophiopogon permanently submerged. I haven't seen it with my eyes.
On the other side, Spatiphyllum wallisii is often said to be unsuitable for tanks. I can testify from my own experience that this is not the case. It can grow submerged (>30 cm deep) very well, but tends to create leaves above the water surface. Such a habit does not fit to me as I cover my tanks with lids. But it would be potentially very attractive in open tanks as it readily creates beautiful white flowers.
Many years ago, I've experimented with some Marantaceae, beautiful plants requiring lots of water and high humidity. To my regret, all my attempts failed miserably.

Ophiopogon grows well for me as an emergent plant with it's roots fully submerged in the water. One of the few that is tough enough to not be eaten by greenfly too. Not for underwater but still can be nice.

Do I detect correctly Ophiopogon at the left side of your tank? This species is generally considered unsuitable for submerged cultivation.
I think it is <"Ophiopogon japonicus"> as well, unfortunately one <"that comes up a lot">.
I must take your word for it as I am VERY amateur in plants! Sorry! I bought this from a local fish shop (not Maidenhead; I was trying a new one), so I have no idea. (Buyer beware).

@dw1305, you say it needs to be removed ASAP? Its not toxic or something? Or just for the plant's sake?

Hi all,
@dw1305, you say it needs to be removed ASAP? Its not toxic or something? Or just for the plant's sake?
Plants can only improve water quality when they are actively growing.

In this case the plant can't grow underwater and will start to decay, reducing water quality, rather than improving it.

cheers Darrel

OK, I'll be taking that one out then! Great spot, guys!

Now, that does leave a rather interesting space to fill?!

Back