• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flow and pipe position

idris

Having read through some of the posts on flow etc I am concerned my project may be heading for some dead spots and risk of algae.

The tank is just over 1m wide, 75cm high and 30cm deep (about 250l), with two large pieces of wood and a relatively large cave. The filtration is from a Rena xP2, rated at just over 1050 l/h. (It turns out this is prbably about half the flow I need ideally, but I'm stuck with it for the forseable future as I can't justify another filter.) The hoses are 20mm (ID) and the pipes I'm using for the intake and spraybar are 16mm (ID)

I have been planning on the intake and spraybar as below, but I am now concerned about dead spots (leading to algae) where the yellow Xs are.
5648588579_e79378fa10.jpg

There's a strong philosophy of keeping all the equipment out of the tank (or as inconspicuous as possible) so I don't really want to start having wiring and Koralias etc in the tank.

So I'm wondering whether there are better places to site the intake and spray bar. From what I've read they are in reasonable places if everything else is ideal, but I suspect the cave and depth may mean this needs more consideration.

Although the filter is rated at 1050litres an hour, you will only probably achieve around 600litres an hour, maybe less. When they state the maximum flow its generally without any media in the filter!

I think you are going to struggle to achieve the 10x rule with just the rena. You may have to invest in some extra movement creating devices. i.e koralias.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than myself will be able to assist more :)

Hi Idris,

I'm thinking a similar thing. My tank is pretty much the same dimensions as ur tank only I have two filters (Fluval 405 and Rheum 2078). I'm unsure how to arrange the spray bars for best flow... I'm currently thinking on stacking them so that they are generating flow in the same direction. I guess the key is that the flow the filters and/ or power heads generate complimentary flow and don't fight against each other...

youmustcomply said:
...I think you are going to struggle to achieve the 10x rule with just the rena. You may have to invest in some extra movement creating devices. i.e koralias...)
I've never been a fan of rules and have never met the Rules Poice so I should be ok.
And as stated I can't justify another filter and I don't really want to start having wiring and Koralias etc in the tank.

Bobtastic said:
My tank is pretty much the same dimensions as ur tank
You have a PM.

Back