• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flow Rates

RichardJW

As discussed in other topics I'm in the process of stripping down a 180l Marine setup with the view of setting up as a planted project . I've already got 2000l/hr external filter and several internal circulation pumps as part of current setup .
10X seems to be a magic circulation figure mentioned .
Question ,is that sufficient delivered through a spray bar or to get even flow throughout should I consider adding in one of the pumps ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you can get 10 x flow through a spray bar then that is great but the 10 x rule is more of a guild line.
I don't like using extra pumps, they look ugly to me but sometimes it is the best way to get a complete coverage over the whole tank.
A lot depend on the hardscape design & plant choice!
Some guys with lots of experience can see the finished & grown in scape in their minds eye & just know what style of flow will work but for guys with less experience there may well be some trial & error required to get the flow just right.
I would start off with a full length spray bar & see how that preforms with a min 10 x rated filter flow.
I would never recommend getting any fauna until you have the flow & C02 sorted though.

Back