• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flow with no current

I deliberately used an internal filter for the blackwater to keep all technology inside the tank for sake of heat loss prevention. A canister with tubing isn't ideal in this regard.
Here's the center of the tank. The sides are completely shaded; both filter and heater are not visible because of this.

IMG_20221214_175639691-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, that's definitely useful!
P.S. the 60cm is only 20cm high so the Betta can reach the surface easily without much effort, so technically not a normal 60cm tank!
No problem at all👍.

Oh, I see so more of a shallow tank. I'm currently building a new home for my Betta too. He is going in a UNS 30C(7.1 US Gallon) with an Eheim Classic 150 for Filtration. He is a Plakat but, still doesn't like much flow so I will be working on the same issue as you in a bit(I'll be running the stock spray bar setup to start with). I'll post how it works out...

No problem at all👍.

Oh, I see so more of a shallow tank. I'm currently building a new home for my Betta too. He is going in a UNS 30C(7.1 US Gallon) with an Eheim Classic 150 for Filtration. He is a Plakat but, still doesn't like much flow so I will be working on the same issue as you in a bit(I'll be running the stock spray bar setup to start with). I'll post how it works out...
Mine's an imbellis so hasn't the ridiculous finnage to hamper him but he still struggles with swim bladder issues. Look forward to seeing how yours turns out!

I deliberately used an internal filter for the blackwater to keep all technology inside the tank for sake of heat loss prevention. A canister with tubing isn't ideal in this regard.
Here's the center of the tank. The sides are completely shaded; both filter and heater are not visible because of this.

View attachment 199227
That's my kind of tank! I find myself drawn more and more towards biotopes, but I can't quite lose the heavy plant load.

Mine's an imbellis so hasn't the ridiculous finnage to hamper him but he still struggles with swim bladder issues. Look forward to seeing how yours turns out!
Yes, I'm not a fan of the long fins so I am glad mine turned out to be a Plakat(I rescued him from an ill family member so he wasnt of my choosing). I probably will never get another Betta(not my cup of tea as I prefer mellow non-territorial species) but, I still plan to give my little man Chester the best life I can. He is in a cheap Topfin 3 Gallon Cube now so this new complete home upgrade should make him very happy😁(as long as I can tame that new Canister that is)...

I hope your imbellis stays in good health and can avoid anymore swim bladder issues🙏.

Thanks, I'll post about the upgrade for sure
👍.

A lot of blackwater biotopes or inspirations work with 2 layers: 1) a blackwater layer with leaves and botanicals, and 2) on top a brighter, green layer of floating plants and "creepers" like Hydrocotyle leucocephala. The plants obstruct light to penetrate, make the separation between layers even more distinct.

Or get a second (or 10th in my case) tank to satisfy your plant needs ;)

That's my kind of tank! I find myself drawn more and more towards biotopes, but I can't quite lose the heavy plant load.
I have the same issue. I have a bit of a problem and tend to go overboard with plants and hardscape lol. Maybe one day I will try a biotope though...

I just looked up some pictures of Betta Imbellis as I couldn't remember what they looked like. Man, those look beautiful. Any pics of yours Myrtle?

Right, this may not suit what you require but, for good throughput without lots of flow, have you considered reverse-flow UGF? Powerhead ( or canister filter ) down the airlift, all return up through the footprint of your tank, excluding hardscape. I bet you could push a fair bit down the airlift and barely notice any flow within.

I just looked up some pictures of Betta Imbellis as I couldn't remember what they looked like. Man, those look beautiful. Any pics of yours Myrtle?
This is one of my boys

20221202_185634 (1).jpg

and this is one of my juvie imbellis/splendens hybrids. Not purpose bred but when they spawned I felt responsible for raising them!

20221231_174042.jpg

I've got some females from Frank's lines coming in the new year.

Right, this may not suit what you require but, for good throughput without lots of flow, have you considered reverse-flow UGF? Powerhead ( or canister filter ) down the airlift, all return up through the footprint of your tank, excluding hardscape. I bet you could push a fair bit down the airlift and barely notice any flow within.
That's not something I've come across before!

What a dapper little man. I especially love the striping on his dorsal fin. Hope he lives a long and happy life👍.
and this is one of my juvie imbellis/splendens hybrids. Not purpose bred but when they spawned I felt responsible for raising them!

View attachment 199232

I've got some females from Frank's lines coming in the new year.
Cool, he is a unique little guy too. Thanks for the pics👌.

Worth a look, the main issue is that the water going down the airlift is mechanically clean to prevent clogging from below. That can be the return from a canister or simple a foam pad on the intake side of powerhead. It would spread the output across the footprint but may depend on your choice of substrate. My answer was purely a mechanical solution. In that respect it will work.

Back