• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Aqualife and Plant LED Strip Light 25W

Not really the answer you're looking for but for the $$ I'd look into this LED offered by CO2Art - my personal preference is for the higher watt led's (unless you have one of the shallow tanks re they provide higher PAR values at the substrate) ... a local shop has some on their display tanks, I'll ask the next time I'm in.

Thanks for the reply alto.

I did look at those LED lights on CO2Art website earlier, but couldn't make sense of the information on there? I couldn't work out how they are fitted to the aquarium e.g. brackets, as hanging pendants, what their dimensions are etc. I think I worked out that you choose the model based on the depth/height of the aquarium you've got, so that the light penetrates all the way down to the substrate, but other than that, I'm completely lost. I should really contact Miroslav and see if he can help at all.

If I could see a picture of one of them set up on an aquarium that would most probably help me decide if it's what I'm after or not.

What I was actually looking for was feedback from users of the Fluval light, as I have been having seriously problems with the reliability of these units. I've tried searching the web, but I haven't really found any useful reviews of this product. I was hoping someone on here had been using them, so that I can see if my situation is unique or a general problem with the light strip.

Try contacting Hagen/Fluval, either directly or through your local shop ... in my area, best option would be the local sales rep as they have some latitude in dealing with situations such as you describe (I think you're wondering if you've gotten a "lemon" unit).

Yes, I am thinking along those lines, just in my case I've had two brand new units fail in 3 months. The first lasted just over two months before it failed completely, and the second just a week. I'm just trying to work out if I'm unique in my experience with these lights or if it's a wider spread problem.

Did you get a refund/replacement?
A local shop has some of these lights on display tanks & no issue (they also sell a fair number, owner (whom I know very well) would not continue selling if your experience was typical) .

Look at manufacture numbers on the units, if they are different, I'd definitely give these lights a miss going forward, if they are same production run ... this sometimes happens (but I'd expect Fluval/Hagen to do a recall or acknowledge & replace any lights in the series ... they did have a situation with one of their kit tank lights & did just that)

OTOH a friend picked up an iPad Air 2, first failed to charge/hold a charge; replacement unit seemed better UNTIL the smoke started coming out - there was some actual melting of the connector & blackening of the iPad ... truly funny part was that the iPad still (apparently) worked fine ... it was returned: everyone claims this is not typical, but really, what are the chances ...

Thanks for the advice regarding the manufacturers numbers on the units. I did get a replacement unit for the first failed unit, and I'm waiting for another unit to be sent to me for the second failed unit. The supplier of this unit did not provide me with any feedback on what the fault was with the light, but I emailed them a couple of days ago to provide the information to me.

I must admit that I am very surprised by all of this, as I own several Fluval products, and I've always found them very reliable, so I'm hoping that this just a 'one off' problem.

Back