• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval fx5

stevec

Does anyone run a fluval fx5 if so is it quiet? Ive ordered a new tank and thinking of getting one for it

I run two on my 5x2x2.5ft in my living room. I'd not swap them for anything! One was awesome but I purchased a 2nd when I got into plants and keeping big fish at the same time.
They're quiet and they're in both ends of my cabinet. A faint hum is all you hear but with the doors shut it's barely there at all. I had 2 Eheims before these and I wouldn't say they were quieter. They just had a different hum.
What size tank you got? The waterchanging with the FX5 is great! Buy another length of hose to attach to the spare connector tap they give you and you simply turn off, close the taps, disconnect the output and put on your new hose which runs outside or to the sink then twist the taps, fire it up and watch the water level drop! It's fast!

You'll be glad of the purchase :)

I have one, and yes, they're not silent, but they're not at all loud, I'd say about as loud as a person humming softly, stand more than about 6 feet away and you can't hear it, it's not like a reef tank.

thanks guys it not just the size of the tank (70x80x50cm) the top of the tank is going to be 6 foot off the floor and not many externals pump that high lfs tried to sell me the aqua one aquis 2450 but the fx5 has better flow rate both about the same price

thanks guys it not just the size of the tank (70x80x50cm) the top of the tank is going to be 6 foot off the floor and not many externals pump that high lfs tried to sell me the aqua one aquis 2450 but the fx5 has better flow rate both about the same price

Binned, yes binned a 4 month old Tetratech 2400 and replaced it with a FX5 because the tech was not stop trouble. :mad: The FX5 was definetly better but in comparison to the 2off Eheim 2078's I now have there is in my opinion no comparison. The Eheims are for me so quiet 2off are less noisy than 1off FX5. The overall build quality is better than the FX5 and stripping and cleaning is definetly better. The reef function is great especially with a pair as the plants fairly sway in the tank as the flow increases and decreases, its great!
If you haven't parted with your hard earned pennies a 2078 is worth considering, but just my opinion 8)

well i always run eheim and have one to fall back on but i reckon id need two and due to austerity measures ( the misses moaning) i couldnt justify the extra cost...ive just managed to purchase a fx5 new unused from ebay £75 delivered it will be in a cupboard in the hallway so as long as its not too noisy i will give it a go for a few months and if alls well ill sell the spare eheim and get me money back so fingers crossed
now gotta sneak 30 litres of substrate in somehow :crazy:

Good luck and good point on the Misses!!!!! ;) Remember the Great Escape way of getting rid of the dirt, the bags sown inside the trouser legs,good for getting substrate in as well ha ha regards Colin. :lol:

finally got this fx5 running and gotta say its very quiet not as quiet as the eheims but not noticable at all

although very powerfull ... it states 3.3m head hight which i took to be the maximum hight it would pump to..i just couldnt get it working (top of my tank is 6ft off floor) until i placed it on a 2ft cabinet.....unless i misunderstood head hight?

ghastly looking intake binned that

Back