Fluval LED Lighting

Douglas Mason

Hi,

I've just bought a Fluval Roma 200l LED tank and cabinet.

I had to go for something like this to get back into fish keeping as my wife detests open tanks.

I can always leave the top part of the lid off.

Anyway this tank comes with a 12.5w LED, is this enough for me to keep a planted tank or do I need to buy something stronger.

The tank came with a filter that it going to be replaced for external filter so I'd rather change everything that needs changing before setting up.

Doug

micheljq

Hello, surely not, just good for anubias plants i think.

2 - 3 Grobeam 600 or a Fluval Plant 3.0, they have some water resistance, and can resist being installed in a damped moist like below a top.

Michel.

alto

It’s hard to understand what Fluval is doing with the Roma series lighting - compare with light specifications from the Flex series, which I’d consider relatively low light - in contrast, the Fluval Spec 19 will easily support HC, UG etc carpets (assuming sufficient CO2 etc)

https://www.fluvalaquatics.com/us/flex/
(Scroll down to comparisons table)

I understand that Fluval is offering a competitively priced AIO aquarium BUT then stay away from the promise of a thriving planted aquarium ... after all by the time one upgrades to a canister filter and suitable plant lighting, this kit is now in a different budget category

As mentioned above, confirm suitability with light unit manufacturers - not only moisture but also heat dissipation

Douglas Mason

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like the filter and light will be going and new ones purchased, I may keep the light in case I want some additional lighting at some point.

Doug

alto

Definitely keep the stock light - if you’re going with a frosted film backing or none, I’d be inclined to try and set it up as behind the tank lighting (for evening viewing)
:)

Douglas Mason

Hi,

Just an update, I went and bought the Fluval Plant 3.0 and I've kept the light that came with the tank in case I want some additional lighting.

Doug