• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Foam mats yes or no?

Andrew74

Hi all.

Quick question. Im building my new rack of tanks. These will be on a G-Rack unit with the MDF replaced with 12mm ply (Waterproofed).

So the question is. Would you put a mat under the rimless tanks? Would you put it loose or would you attach it to the bottom?

Personally I would yes. You can get a lot of movement in wood, particularly plywood which is prone to distortion with changes in temperature and humidity.

I usually attach the mats loosely to the base of the tank with a few small pieces of double sided adhesive tape - it makes it much easier when getting the tank into position. Or you could just cover the entire shelf in a water proof foam matt, and you'll then protect the wood from any water spills too.

Last edited:
I
I am interested in this as well. What matting would you use? Do you have a link?
I use Yoga Mat's
Have a look on Ebay.

Personally I would yes. You can get a lot of movement in wood, particularly plywood which is prone to distortion with changes in temperature and humidity.

I usually attach the mats loosely to the base of the tank with a few small pieces of double sided adhesive tape - it makes it much easier when getting the tank into position. Or you could just cover the entire shelf in a water proof foam matt, and you'll then protect the wood from any water spills too.
Thanks for this reply.
Never had rimless before so it wasnt an issue. Double sided tape it is. 👍

Back