• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Foam strips for stem plants

BarryH

Can anyone please advise where I may be able to buy the foam strips that come wrapped around stem plants?

I've got plenty of weights and ceramic rings, it's just the foam strips I can't seem to get hold of.

Alright Barry,

Are these the things? I googled soft ties if that's any help - if not ignore still trying to up the caffeine and nicotine :)

upload_2017-4-10_10-26-38.png

The foam strips are about 25mm wide and roughly 150mm long and probably about 6mm thick. they wrap around the stems of plants and then either go into the ceramic rings or are secured by the "lead" weight. I managed to find some 6mm foam sheeting on eBay which I could cut up if strips can't be found.

Thanks for the filter wool idea Dean, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the link Zozo but it's just the foam strips I'm looking for. I have loads of the ceramic rings but no spare foams.

I think I'll contact the eBay seller and ask if he'll sell just the foams on their own.

I guess these foam strips from the look of it are same material as filter sponge - polyether foam.. You might be able to find it anywhere around maybe for other types of filtering or as packing material or underlay mats etc. And cut it yourself in the size you need. :)

I think he's talking about the thin sponge strips but what I'm wondering is why the insistence on them when the are other nicer looking alternatives.

What are the "nicer looking alternatives" that are available Progen? After all they do get buried in the substrate.

Why would you bury them? I don't buy them much but aren't you meant to unwrap and discard them? I feel I may have been doing it wrong all along :(

dont bother with the foam strips. all i do is tie the plants using cotton thread to a cermic ring and plonk on the substrate where i want it. soon gets covered up. and makes it easier to move the plants around if you want to change the positions.
works especially well with stem plants,just place the stems arounf the ceramic ring and then tie in place with thread.

Just place the stems arounf the ceramic ring and then tie in place with thread.

Gill, that's something I've not tried but it sounds like a great idea. Can I just check, instead of the stems going inside the ceramic ring (as they arrive) put the stems on the outside of the ring then wrap thread around the whole thing?

Just to double-check. You meant this, right? It looks a bit different because it's been dry for a few months now.

p3HUdXD.jpg

Actualy tying stems together and plant them, never is or was a good idea. All tho it probably is a common practice i guess. You buy them like that and think they need to throwen in the tank like that... But it's beter to plant them seperately with a little space between them. Bunched up, one melting stem in there can infect other healthy stems..

Superglue to the resque.. :) Glue one stem to a little stone or little ceramic ring, heavy enough to keep it down.. Put it in the substrate and put the next stem the same way about 1 cm apart from the other.. :thumbup:

Back