• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Forrest Bridge

chrisfraser05

Having spent a bit of time learning and a little bit of cash (read alot) in the process I have everything I need to start my new project.

I'm returning to the UK in December and have picked a date to begin "Forrest bridge".

Here's the basic setup;

Tank
Aqua one 300lt Bowfront and stand

Filter
Aqua one 1200 canister
2x 2800lt powerheads

Lighting
30w T8 Osram 840 cool light
30w T8 Osram 880 Day light

CO2
5kg FE
Solenoid and Reg from Aqua Essentials

Substrate
Pond/Aquatic soil base
Black flourite sand top layer

Aquascape
black rock
black stones
twigs
bogwood

Flora
TBC

Fauna
Platys
Danios
Glass cats
Cloud Minnows
BN plec
Ottos
Amano shrimp
RCS
Possibly hatchets
Couple of Corys
khuli loaches

The idea is to use the existing stock from my 2 current tanks in this one (maybe some will go into my daughters tank) and expand the numbers of some, especially the glass cats and add the hatchets.

For the plants I intend to do some stems for background height, various plants for middle ground depending on the locations.
At the front the foreground is going to be split, stepped down around half way along. One half of this will have some grass (dwarf hair grass?) and the other part will be HC.

The basic plan for the layout will be to build up the back left as a mountain with the stems ontop and alot of exposed rock on its front, moving along droping to the left into almost a valley. This will build back up into another raised area on the right about half the height of that on the left. I have a nice piece of drift wood which will be placed from one of the hills to the other as a bridge with moss growing over it.

CO2 will be entirely disolved into the water by means of a DIY CO2 reactor and heating will be provided by a hydor 300eth (external) so as to keep the tank free from equipment.

To help with this clean look I am using limo tint film on the back and left sides as a background and the powerheads are completely black.

I am making a DIY spray bar the full length of the tank to provide the Warm CO2 enriched water and will probibally place the return somewhere near the center. Not sure yet how I'm going to disguise it but twigs may be a possibility.

Some of the ideas for the tank are still a little fluid but all the equipment has been purchased ready :)

Can't wait to start this now....... T-42 days and counting!!!

Just a random thought: Have you considered approaching your LFS with some of your stock rather than consolidating it, so you could have more of what you (might) want for your new scape?

I only ask 'cos with hindsight, I'd like to try less species, more members in my community tank. A bit like my take on food - less ingredients done well is often better than many randomly mixed.

I had considdered it but I like my fishies lol

The sleeping arrangements aren't final as theres 3 other tanks in the house that could house some.
The Danios might stay in the 80lt plant Grow out tank along with the corys and minnows.

Theres a surprise entry also as my wifes just emailed me saying she's bought some endlers guppies lol.
Think they'll stay in the study!

Back