• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

From 2178 to Fluval FX6 - need advice

Gilles

Hey there,

Currently thinking about replacing my 2178 (with heater that i don't use due to my T5 HO lamps).

Reasons i want it replaced:
- i don't use the heater
- flow is to little
- air builds up every 10 minutes, i think due to the fact that my AM1000 reactor is at the same height as my canister filter.

Basically air buildup (and corresponding 'pump is failing' sounds) are the biggest problem.

I was thinking about the FX6; read some good reviews about it and the output is massive. Questions i have;
- Can it be connected to 20mm hoses? I have 20mm PVC plumbing.
- Can i connect it to a modified AM1000 reactor (bored out pipes to accomidate for 20mm hoses) or should i DIY a reactor like in the FX5 thread?
- Will the fact that the AM1000 reactor is at thesame level as the Fluval be a problem?
- Can i remove my AM1000 and feed CO2 in the intake of the filter (since the pump is at the bottom?) like done here? or will that impact my bacterial colonies to much?

Hope you guys can help me out!

Regards,
Gilles

Hi gilles.
The fx6 are fantastic filters im running 2 on my tank now. Really good.
You can use a step down hose tail reducer that will allow you to take the hose from 25mm down to 20mm and the fx6 will still be fine with a bored out am1000 but the flow may just be too much for it.
Its quite easy to make one of the diy fx5 reactors that I did. Very easy actually.

Having the co2 run straight into the intake isnt an issue as I did this on my old fx5s. Towards the end of the day you do get a wooshing sound of the gas build up in the filter but it doesnt affect the bacterial colonies.

Well i am actually reading your topic right now :) I got a couple of idea's already just need the PVC for it. Now i am deciding wheter or not to first replace my pool filter sand substrate for Akadama :) I'll post a pic of my tank tomorrow after maintenace.

Back