From DIY to Pressurized

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by LondonDragon, 26 Mar 2008.

1. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Hi guys,

As some probably seen on the other post, I just ordered my pressurized system as I am fed up of the DIY unstable mixes.
    Is there something I should be concerned about when I move over?

Apologies for the million questions, just don't want to destroy what I have achieved so far.

Many thanks :)

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Should be worried about gassing your fish! :) Just take it slow to start with, make sure you've got a drop checker sorted out with 4dkh solution etc and slowly build up the ammount of CO2.

3. LondonDragon

Yes thats what I am worried about, at the moment I run an air stone throught the night, it goes off a couple of hours before lights on and comes on at lights out. Maybe I should continue doing that I guess there will be no harm to the plants.
    I got a solenoid valve with the CO2 set, I will set this to come on a couple of hours before lights on and go off at lights out.
    I am afraid of gassing the fish as I did once in the past :( with the DIY solution, left my air stone off a few nights by accident. I will keep running the air stone.

4. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

Hiya, if it were me i'd be running it real slow to start, say for the first week at less than 1bps and deffinatly use the solanoid. Have it go off an hour before light out. You could run the airstone for the first week of so for piece of mind but after that once you become more confident you could knock it on the head as it's just more equipment the run and of corse try and hide.
    I run my Co2 24/7 with no ill affects as i found that using a solanoid was contributing to BBA.
    Oh yeh, i don;t know about your set up but make sure you have quite high light.
    I hope this helps.

5. planter

planter Member

No need to be scared Dan, Pressurised is definatley the way to go. Ive run Co2 1 bps 24/7 with no problems, Although I never stock many fish. Enjoy Dan! look forward to seeing the results of your investment :D

6. LondonDragon

Thanks Dan, I have in my Juwel Rio 125 4x24w T5 and 2x18w T8 (which I haven't been using lately)

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Make sure your air stone is set to turn off when your CO2 is set to come on, else you'll be driving off CO2 and not letting it build up before lights on :)

8. LondonDragon

I will ensure I do that ;) I do that at present by turning the airstone off a couple of hours before lights on.

9. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Member

I would say that with the amount of light you just posted as having above the tank 1bps is not going to keep you at 30ppm. But as others have said that is where I would start and I would also make sure that you set it up on a day you can dedicate to it so that you can keep checking the DC and fish every 2 hours adjusting it before feeling safe to go to bed at night.

Andy

10. LondonDragon

Thanks Andy, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow and I can do it over the weekend, otherwise I will wait until the next weekend to upgrade it, and yes I will keep it low to start with, keep it similar to what the DIY was doing and then increase it gradually.