• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

From Reef to Planted

Andy I like the micro bubbles as they are a never ending guide to how well the C02 is distributed.
Yes you can see them as a mist but only from close up, from my armchair viewing point I cant notice the mist.
I have considered fitting one just before a reactor to absorb the gas totally but, that would just be another unnecessary complication.
I have built plenty of reactors in the past & may use one again but, at the moment I am enjoying the simplicity & efficiency of the diffuser.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Up-aqua-aquarium- ... 3caf1c7677
The fact is - plant tanks work very well with basic equipment.
You can see dozens of algae free beautiful tanks on this & other forums & 99% of them are very basic.
However a sump will work as an asset even if it is not necessary, the same with daily water changes but, you need to get good C02 distribution & adequate fertilisation & finally you need as little light as required to achieve good growth & little algae.
Once you have the basics sorted & your tank is running trouble free then you can then begin to play!
Auto dosing pumps for ferts, auto evaporation top up, auto water change, C02 reactors, sun rise , sun set lighting etc All good fun but, I would follow the easy tried & tested route first & then develop you tank :)

used to do the drip change method, but like foxfish stopped using it and now do the change manually. i syphon/pump the water out the window, while i do maintenance clean gravel, trim plants and clean glass ect. then i fill from the mixer tap in the kitchen while i eat breakfast and watch the Simpson's do well over 50% on a 750l takes 1 1/2 hours give or take.
but if you do go drip change this might help http://www.angelfish.net/DripSystemcalc.php

Thanks both of you for the information.

I will start with full water changes then, running water out of the window and filling from the pumped shower upstairs and see how that goes.

As yet, I haven't ordered any dry fertilisers as yet, neither have I tested any of the tap water parameters but I am taking it that testing won't be needed!

I would like to dose using dosing pumps, but would be happy in the first place to dose dry salts. Advice on exactly what to buy and from where would be appreciated .....

Currently the list of plants that I have made runs to 57 different types, so I assume that I am going to need to cut that down considerably as well! These are all from the Tropica catalogue and I would be happy to remove some based on your experience:

Altrenanthera reineckii "Purple"
Anubias barteri var. nana
Anubias barteri "coffeefolia"
Aponogeton longiplumulosus
Bacopa australis
Bacopa caroliniana
Bacopa monnieri
Cardamine lyrata
Cladophora aegagrophilia
Crinum calamistratum
Cryptocoryne bekettii "Petchii"
Cryptocoryne crispatula var. flaccidifolia
Cryptocoryne wendtii "brown"
Cryptocoryne wendtii "green"
Cryptocoryne wendtii "Tropica"
Cyperus helferi
Echinodorus "Aquartica"
Echinodorus "Ozelot"
Echinodorus " Ozelot green"
Echinodorus "Red diamond"
Echinodorus "Rose"
Echinodorus tenellus
Eleocharis parvula
Glossostigma elatinoides
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides (maritima)
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Hygrophila corymbosa
Hygrophila corymbosa "compact"
Hygrophila polysperma
Hygrophila polysperma "Rosanervig"
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Limnophila aquatica
Limnophila sessiliflora
Lindernia rotundifolia
Ludwigia arcuata
Ludwigia glandulosa
Ludwigia repens "Rubin"
Micranthemum umbrosum
Microsorum pteropus
Microsorum pteropus "Narrow"
Microsorum pteropus "Windelov"
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Myriophyllum mezianum
Nesaea crassicaulis
Nesaea pedicellata
Nymphaea lotus (Zenkeri)
Pogostemon erectus
Pogostemon helferi
Polygonum sp.
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala sp. "green"
Shinnersia rivularis "Weiss-Grun"
Staurogyne repens
Vallisneria nana
Vallisneria spiralis "Tiger"
Vescicularia dubyana "Christmas"

Crikey, that is just about every plant available LOL.
I think you should narrow your list down a bit & perhaps break down your choice to a couple of foreground, three or four mid ground & three or four stems?
It might be be helpful to think of a design or plan & then ask again about plant choice.
You can buy ferts from our forum sponsors, I use these chaps, they even sell a premix with full dosing instructions & dosing bottles http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/prod ... product=82
I also use Seachems nitrogen supplement it is called Flourish & is easily available on line.

Back