• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

From tap water to RO?

Lee Sweeting

Hi! I'm currently starting to set up a low tech crs tank, so i've decided to buy an RO unit. I also have a high tech tank up and running at the minute and was thinking of changing the water to an RO/tap water mix. How will this affect my fish/plants etc?

Can i just add the RO/tap mix on the next water change?

Do i need to acclimatise the fish/shrimps to the new ro mix?

Can i expect my crypts to melt as a result of the change in water parameters?

Can i expect to use less Co2 with RO/tap water mix (my water is fairly hard straight out of the tap)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee.

hi lee,
I have just done this,take your time and start with small 10% changes and as the TDS comes down slowly increase the size of the water changes.it will take time but you don't want to lose livestock.i did not lose fish or plants but it seemed ages to achieve my target.i have read about soft water needinge less CO2 but did not really change the gas rate.
all the best, roy.

hi lee.
my plants have done really well since I changed to RO.nice lush growth.its a pity as I have now gone low tech on the tank as I am trying to breed apistos and after asking Darrel I hope to have more luck wth the setup now.still using RO but no CO2.
all the best .roy

Back