• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

From Trickle to Eheim 600

TarkMalbot

I am going to change my Aqua One trickle filter system to a Eheim 600 external system.

I am just wanting to know what people opinions are on the media I should use? It comes with EHFIMECH, 1 coarse filter pad, EHFISUBSTRAT, 1 fine filter pad, and 1 carbon filter pad.

120423110450.jpg

I am planning on taking out the carbon filter but adding in the ceramic rings and sponges from my aqua one in the bottom to ensure I don't lose my biological filtration.

I was also considering adding EHEIM SUBSTRATpro or should I just keep the aquaone ceramic rings in there and not bother with it?

Thanks,
Mark.

Instead of Eheim substrat pro, which I consider restricts flow quite a lot, I would think about Sera Siporax. The "claim" it has more filter capacity than any other media. If thats right then you can get away with using less of it too, which means retaining a decent flow whilst having a good biological filtration capacity. :)

Do you have to have the canister "full" or is it ok to say remove the carbon sponge and not fill that gap with anything?

I just use the blue foam and plastic bioballs, cheap and easy to maintain with minimal loss of flow.

Do you ever replace the foam or just wash it in used tank water and put it back in?

Do you have to have the canister "full" or is it ok to say remove the carbon sponge and not fill that gap with anything?
I dont use this and havent bothered to add anything in its place

Do you ever replace the foam or just wash it in used tank water and put it back in?
I wash the foam under the tap and give the balls a quick swill in tank water

Sounds easy. ;)
Lol sure is. The easier you make it for yourself the more likely you are to clean it, especially true for those eheim classics. Id recomend getting a set of disconnect taps if it doesnt come with them.

My filter said it was coming with taps and I certainly plan on putting in my trickle filter media for at least a month to get things going. Thanks for the ideas so far. Looking forward to getting home from offshore and playing with it all.

Back