• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fungus/Algae on driftwood

justjason88

I've soaked my driftwood for about 2 weeks now, changing the water every 2 days. It's now been in the tank with xmas moss attached to some branches for roughly 4-5 days. It's a new setup up so the substrate is new and still leeching ammonia (ada amazonia with tropica plant substrate underneath) I've since noticed a white fungus growing on the very tips of the branches and a thick brown fungus/algae growing along the length of some branches. It is easily removable but just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas as to what it may be or how to stop it?

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

Thanks

Jason

The white stuff is a fungus - should be harmless, and shrimp and some fish will happily eat it. It'll stop in a few weeks once the readily available nutrients in the wood have been exhausted.

The brown bits I'm less sure about - might be a different form of fungus, or some sort of algae, I'll have to pass on that one.

Back