• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fungus on drop checker

lucaz koh

as per thread title, I keep getting a white cottony fungus similar to what you would get on a newly soaked driftwood on my drop checker where the air inside the drop checker comes into contact with the water. As a result my drop checker stays yellow constantly, despite just changing the solution the day before.

I’ve tried taking the drop checker out, rinsing, scrubbing and leaving it out to dry in the sun for a couple of hours to no avail.

Help would be appreciated.

I am still struggling with fungus on my wood, I’m guessing this is what contributes to it?

That's because it is in the water column, the wood probably contains a nutritious source for the fungus to grow on.. Once it is in there it will keep reappearing as long as it has a food source it can live off. In general this is only temporary, in time when food source is depleted it will vanish on it's own. Depending on the wood it can leach this nutrient into the water column and make fungus spread all over the tank, i've seen plants covered in it. Doing extra water changes is the only thing you can do and wait it out it'll finaly go away, there is no safe treatment against it about any fungicide out there is highly toxic to aquatic life.

What also happens a lot in high tech tanks is due to the high plant metabolism, an excess protien secretion and build up into the water column, this will show as a foamy and oily surface layer. Also this can build up a biofilm in the drop checker and become a nutrius substrate for fungus. This can appear rather suddenly withut warning, hold on for days to weeks and go away again.. Some plants do it more than others, there is not much remedy against it other than create sufficient surface agitation, maybe install a surface skimmer on your filter inlet and do water changes. In some cases also a very dirty substrate can cause this, but if you have a strickt maintenance schedule it most likely comes from the plants. This is something many people experience without ever find the root cause, it can come and go on it's own without showing a concrete cause. At least that's how i experienced it in my high tech days, all of a sudden it was there and then gone again.. also with a foamy dirty slimey build up in the drop checker. Never found the cause and only thing i could do was keep on cleaning it.. :)

Back