• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Future Mars astronauts may chomp on Wolffia plant to survive

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
As some will know I have a bit of a <"floating plant obsession">, and this has just come my way via my day job (and "Botany One" <"🌻 The Week in Botany October 23, 2023">)

<"Future Mars astronauts may chomp on Earth's tiniest flowering plant to survive">

20080902203848%21WolffiaArrhiza2.jpg

Photo copy write Christian Fischer,-CC 20BY 2DSA <"Wolffia - Wikipedia">

So it isn't <"DIY potatoes for Martian astronauts">, it is Duckweed.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Mmmmm looks delicious!
Very good for you apparently and doesn't require much chewing. <"Wolffia globosa-Based Nutritious Snack Formulation with High Protein and Dietary Fiber Contents">
Wolffia species have high dietary fiber, carotenoids, zinc, potassium, manganese, and iron, with dietary fiber reported between 10.7 and 14.72% DW [12] and carotenoids including (all-E)-lutein and (all-E)-violaxanthin 30.8 and 46 mg/100 g DW, respectively [13]
Personally I'm going to tell you* that I've substituted my daily Pork Pie <"Melton Mowbray pork pie recipe"> and Eccles Cake <"How to make the perfect Eccles cakes"> for a delicious <"Wolffia Smoothie">.

*whether you believe me, or not, is entirely up to you.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back