• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fuzzy glass?

Rob P

I give all the glass in the tank a really good clean at least once weekly (it needs it).

However, I did this last Sunday morning and by Wednesday/Thursday it's noticably ready for doing again, it's always the same. Is it diatoms causing this?

How often does everyone else clean their glass, is it normal to have to do this more than once a week to keep it squeaky clean?

Ta,
Rob :)

In my 5 nano tanks with PL lighting and LED lighting (this is probably not a factor but just in case) I have zero issue with diatoms. In my 2 Rios with T5 lighting I have to clean it every week and as you have stated sometimes more. Lighting on these tanks is on for 5 hours a day. I feel the lighting is the issue but maybe wrong. It could also be that those two tanks are very lighlty planted.

Andy as you know I have TMC Grobeam LED's on at 20% lol

I bought 5 nerites last week hoping they'd help but the lazy buggers don't seem to do that much!! o_O

How new is your set up Rob. I've had that trouble for the last month or so but miraculously it's dramatically slowed down over the last week or two. All I did was improve my cleaning regime (to the point of obsession!).

Tank was set up 31st August mate so 2 and half months, been running lights at 20% for last few weeks now but doesn't seem to make much difference (probably had cleaner glass when tank blasted with light lol). Doesn't get much in the way of ambient light.

'Cleaning' regime is pretty full on, 3 x weekly water changes of approx 50% including a substrate vac each time, dead/dying matter removed immediately etc. Filter has never gone more than 2 weeks without been cleaned since tank set up.

I can only dream of the days of once weekly water changes and cleaning but that's where i'd like to get to!

Perhaps its the fault of the water changes? May sound strange, but do you do the water changes with the lights on or off? Fluctuating CO2 levels can cause problems from the water changes especially with 3x 50% a week if done with the lights on.

I usually do two of the water changes through the week and wait painfully until the end of the light cycle (so 9.45pm onwards) before doing maintenance. On the weekends i'll do either Sat or Sun morning maintenance and this is done at least a couple of hours before lights come on.

I will leave/switch the lights to 1 or 2 % so i can see what i'm doing whilst i'm doing it but can't see that been a problem?

I have found since using ro water it has cut the glass cleaning down :)

Back