• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

General Advice

samkiller42

Hi All,
I have a 2ft*2ft Cube that i'm planning on creating into a planted community aquarium.
P1010180.jpg

I have a fish stock idea already:
Dwarf Rainbows, Tetras, Gold Rams, Albino Corys, Bristlenose Pleco's, Gourami's.

Unfortunately my Plant knowledge is rubbish, so i don't know what plants would be suitable. I'm not going to settle on a particular scape, but i will use rock and bog wood.

Lighting is from a 4*24w Luminair.
Return Pump is a Ehiem 1262 (3400ltr/hr)
300w Heater.
Will be using fine light sand.
Will also use some form of CO2 (Pressurised)

I would like to have a small carpeted area towards the front Left, with some open sand to the right, with taller plants behind, to somewhat, mask the weir.

Any help or advice is most appreciated.

Cheers
Sam

I've been looking for a cube tank like that, can you tell me where you got it from? I'll leave the advice to the experts on here! But I'll give you a warning about Gourami aggression, I had a three spot (Trichogaster trichopterus) that went on a murderous rampage after being fine with the others for almost a year. He just snapped for some reason, get females or a less aggressive species than three spots.

You can't go wrong with java fern attached to decor if you want something easy. :D

Is that the clearseal tank? I was looking at one of them to se as a reef :)

The main problem I think you will find with the tank is the depth will be a problem for demanding carpeting plants unless you have some really good lighting.

Other than that I think you've got alot of options.

With something that depth and dimentions I'd be tempted to have a large amazon sword in the center then use alot of java ferns on wood and moss. Maybe even build a moss wall :) :) :)

@ Drouthie, I bought it pre-owned of a reefing forum, Infact it was andyseatrout's, and i believe it's a Seabray tank.
I was looking at one from ND Aquatics, which is £275 new for tank and cabinet, or £394 for the Marine Version with Sump.

Regarding Gourami's, was looking at either Dwarf Gourami's, or the Honey Gourami's, but i do know the dwarf can be a bit bullish, but will decide closer to the time.

@ chrisfraser05, i like your idea regarding the moss wall, will look into that.

Cheers for the advice.

SAm

Hi all,
I'd make use of the extra height to have an emersed section, like "hydrophytes" Riparium thread <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7593>, "plantbrain's" L46 tank <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3697> or "Ghostwords" Riverslope <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12900>. For a Gourami, I'd keep away from all the coloured dwarf ones, it is almost impossible to get disease free stock. How about either Trichopsis vittata, the "Croaking Gourami" or a pair of Lace Gourami (Trichogaster leeri)?, they are one of my favourites and an under-rated fish.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for all the advice thus far.
Going with the Moss Wall idea, which will run along the back, and around the weir.
I'm still undecided on what other plants to have, as theirs so much to choose from.

Some new questions for you all to ponder.
Lighting.
I have a 4*24w T5 system (Came with Tank)
It has 2 Marine White and 2 Actinic Blue tubes. Can i stick with these, or should i change to Tropical Pro T5 and Plant Pro T5?

Plant Feeding.
As i'm not always around day in day out, can i have my plant feeding regime weekly? I'm always around Tues and Weds so mixing ferts on those days isn't a problem, but doing it day in day out would be. One day I'll treat myself to a automatic dosing unit. I assume they work just as well with plant ferts as they do for Marine tanks?
Is it worth putting something under my sand, from which the roots can grow into and get food that way? I've used JBL Aquabasis Plus before, and i've seen a few people using Osmocote and Peat on here, is it worth going for either?

I think that's all for now.

Thanks again.

Sam

Ninja Edit:
Another Question. Can i have a CO2 diffuser in the sump's return chamber, where it will then go straight into the main tank? Or should i look into adding a small T and having CO2 injected direct into the main return pipe work?

Back