• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

German Rams COMING SOON - what are your top tips and tricks?

InNi2010

I've recently bought a Ciano Aqua 60 and I am deciding to keep a pair of Rams in there, along with a school of neon tetras and a group of Cory cats.
I'm new to the 'Cichlid world' and need top tips to keep the rams healthy and happy.
Lots of thanks.

Thanks.. was having a bit of a hard time with choosing tankmates that could survive in high temperatures :D

What are the water parameters?
Agree with @Conort2 and @dw1305 with the above advice. Getting decent stock is the hard part, trying to source uk bred fish is definitely the way to go with German rams.

Water parameters that have worked for me: Temperature above 25.5c, soft water (mines 1kh 2~3 gh, ph near to or below 7.

Adding these to a mature tank with plenty of plants, wood and leaf litter (tannins) will also give you the best chances of success.

If you plan on breeding these you might want to consider having them in a species only tank and push the temperature up to 27 ~ 28 Celsius.

Hi all,
Any tips for breeding?
Have a look at the <"linked article">, Bob Wiltshire ("ApistoBob") is a great dwarf cichlid keeper and breeder, and his pages <"are full of good advice">.
you might want to consider having them in a species only tank and push the temperature up to 27 ~ 28 Celsius.
They aren't the greatest parents and have a large number of very small fry, which swim around them in a cloud, up into the water column. This means that any dither can pick off the fry without too much of an issue.

cheers Darrel

uk bred fish
Luckily my store has many variants like golden, electric blue, German and the Bolivian (no dark knight/melanistic though).
I'm going to create a biotope, other than fish, plants, hardscape, water parameters what else do I need that would benefit all the fish?

Last edited:
Luckily my store has many variants like golden, electric blue, German and the Bolivian (no dark knight/melanistic though).
Are these uk bred?

I’m the same as @dw1305 I’d love to keep them but they die far too quickly once purchased. Wild caught are just as bad as they’re often caught in pools drying out so are already seriously stressed and in poor condition. Quality uk bred fish from a local hobbyist is the way forward with these. Saying that there sometimes are some nice examples of European bred fish but they’re few and far between.

what else do I need that would benefit all the fish?
Other than what you’ve listed, I’m a great believer that a good varied diet that includes lots of live food benefits most fish. Live blackworms now seem to be readily available so my fish get these along with daphnia and grindal worms.

Cheers

Are these uk bred?

I’m the same as @dw1305 I’d love to keep them but they die far too quickly once purchased. Wild caught are just as bad as they’re often caught in pools drying out so are already seriously stressed and in poor condition. Quality uk bred fish from a local hobbyist is the way forward with these. Saying that there sometimes are some nice examples of European bred fish but they’re few and far between.

Other than what you’ve listed, I’m a great believer that a good varied diet that includes lots of live food benefits most fish. Live blackworms now seem to be readily available so my fish get these along with daphnia and grindal worms.

Cheers
I never knew it would be that bad...
But the store buys from local UK breeders

I'm going to create a biotope, other than fish, plants, hardscape, water parameters what else do I need that would benefit all the fish?
The golden, electric blue and other mutations are even more inbred and harder to keep alive. And they don't fit in a biotope as they don't exist in nature.
Bolivian Rams are a different species, and they are usually healthier and less delicate than Rams. They are also happy at a lower temperature. If you like the look of them they could be a better choice.

They are one of my favourite fish, but I won't get any more, unless <"I can buy them from a local breeder">.
Hi Folks,

I have bred GBRs and I agree with Darrel. Get them from a local breeder that you trust. None of this Balloon Rams nonsense. Breeding GBRs isn't particularly difficult. Should anyone want to know more, please PM me.

JPC

Hi all,
Could be worth joining the British Cichlid Association to find some local breeders
They have a Facebook page. There is also the "UK Apistogramma Keepers / Breeders" on FB. Tim Addis is in Birmingham (Quinton) he would be a useful person to talk to / buy some stock from. His business "TA Aquaculture" also has a FB page.

cheers Darrel

Back