• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Get the wife involved.

Derek113

So i picked up this 30 ltr tall aquarium from a car boot on sunday.

After getting it home i planned to scape it with some surplus plants and rocks. Thats when my wife asked if she could do the scape.
I was a bit unsure as she has never shown any interest in my hobby, however i agreed and off she went.

Heres the result...
image.jpg
image.jpg

I suggested turning the rock slightly as one side has huge detail. Was told that it was fine as it was.

Never had a tall tank so i have to find fish that would work, but wifey wants to choose. I may have finally got her interested!

Tall tanks are tough to scape as the human eye prefers a wide angle view. ;)

You are doing well!

Tall tanks are tough to scape as the human eye prefers a wide angle view. ;)

You are doing well!

That is very true Rebel. Maybe once the plants fill in the height it will be easier to look at.

Other strategy is to have low lying species and a very tall hardscape.

You could also have a low lying hard and plant scape but mid occupying fish to add movement.

The upper section of the tank is empty but with fast growing plants it wont be long in filling that gap.

I was thinking of red pencil fish or shrimp.

Pencil fish Nannostomus are funny little fish, they tend to be rather more aggressive among congeners that one would expect ... they often appear as rather shy & quiet in the shops
If you look at the suggested tank dimensions for the (above) linked Nannostomus, 60cm - 90cm tank lengths are often recommended ...
I've a small group of N eques - bought 13 but lost several before I realized that quiet behavior was due to illness :oops: :sorry: - the remaining 7 are busy little fish, slipping effortlessly about the tank, they rarely hang about near the surface & there's no doubt they need that minimum aquarium size recommended in the profile ... one of them can be quite nasty

I like the pencil fish, i do however think a tall aquarium is too small.
I would like to have a small fish that is not often seen. I once owned a pygmy gourami pair. Never again have i seen them for sale. They were liquorice gourami.

I looked into dwarf puffers, but they are best kept single.

My idea was was to create a terrarium style background and plant it up to compliment the height. But i would rather the wife got involved.
She even dosed ferts today!

Back